Freemasons - are you one?

(274 Posts)
JazzyComposition Wed 12-Sep-12 22:31:49

So what's it all about?

Latara Wed 12-Sep-12 22:46:03

One of my colleagues is married to the leader of the Freemasons in my area; i admit that i was slightly worried when she started bitching about me at work...
Then i got annoyed because i read that Freemasons are meant to be Christians; or at least have a belief in a God of some kind... & if she's religious then she shouldn't be bitchy!

I've met a retired Policeman who recieved social care (eg. free meals) from the local Freemasons (he was a Freemason).

I think that anyone in a job such as national or local government; or in the MOD or Public Sector (inc. the Police) should declare membership of certain groups such as the Freemasons.
Freemasons should be more open about their aims & about what they do - if nothing else it would help prevent some of the paranoid conspiracy theories.

Yourefired Wed 12-Sep-12 22:46:11

DH has been "hand shacked" loads of times. The secret is normal handshake but you extend the middle finger and press down. Perhaps we need a MN handshake?

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Wed 12-Sep-12 22:48:16

I do enjoy a paranoid conspiracy theory though. That handshake sounds rather disconcerting!

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Wed 12-Sep-12 22:48:46

We could press a Pom bear into the recipients hand or some such.

PretzelTime Wed 12-Sep-12 22:48:55

Extended middlefinger huh? Can we borrow it as the MN handshake?

Latara They only need to believe in a higher power not necessarily be very religious.

McPhee Wed 12-Sep-12 22:49:57

Freemasons spend a lot of time raising money for charity. The money gets donated anonymously. And I mean millions, not just a couple of hundred. You can't just join, it's on an invite/approval system.

Wanna know anything else wink

JazzyComposition Wed 12-Sep-12 22:51:41

Yes I've only just moved to a new area and I'm lonely; there's no 'knit and bitch' group, so I thought maybe the freemasons? Can I be invited?

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 12-Sep-12 22:53:41

My ex was one, isn't there something about standing on one leg with one side of your chest showing.

I remember him telling me about the handshake as well.

McPhee Wed 12-Sep-12 22:53:58

Only if you already know one of the members, oh and are in a trade or high powered job. They don't take unemployed.

I'm just giving you the facts here. You ask it, I'll type it grin

McPhee Wed 12-Sep-12 22:54:38

There's no handshake

He was pulling your leg

BoerWarKids Wed 12-Sep-12 22:55:50

qo That doesn't surprise me. I know from various sources that there are a lot of Masons high up in the police and things that are due in court just disappear...hmm

McPhee Or are close family of previous Masons.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 12-Sep-12 22:58:18

I was sure there was a handshake!!

McPhee Wed 12-Sep-12 22:59:29

Nope

And they don't lift their trouser leg up either

McPhee Wed 12-Sep-12 23:00:10

Very close family and friends

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Wed 12-Sep-12 23:00:16

I want to believe there is a handshake though!

maillotjaune Wed 12-Sep-12 23:04:37

I did some training at one of their buildings (we hired rooms). Was like stepping back in time.

Spent most of the week worrying that the overhead fan was wobbling so much that it might fall off and behead a few students.

McPhee Wed 12-Sep-12 23:05:05

There's a lot of fallacys surrounding freemasonry. And tbh it doesn't need to be this secret club. But because a lot of the stuff they do for the community is done anonymously, they keep themselves to themselves. Which is why all the funny rumours about rituals started.

There is a handshake, there is.

Stamps feet.

McPhee Wed 12-Sep-12 23:07:17

The main chapels are amazing. Beautiful actually, beautiful.

A lot of it is about symbolism and trust in one another.

CointreauVersial Wed 12-Sep-12 23:09:19

My Grandpa was a Grand Master (quite important apparently).

My Grandma worked as a carer in a retirement home for masons and care home for altzeimers patients (sp) that were masons, when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer they looked after her financially very well. And we had some lovely cards/comments and flowers when she passed, she was just a normal person who got a job but they showed her great kindness and respect, and for that i think they're wonderful.

ToothbrushThief Wed 12-Sep-12 23:11:06

There is a handshake (I'd tell you how I know but then I'd have to kill you)

Freemasons are not that secret anymore. They do a lot of charity work, it is a bit of an old boys club and some 'Lodges' are struggling for membership because younger generation are less into it.

They practice a 'ritual' - bit like a play or for those that are CoE or catholic I imagine it's similar to some rituals for those religions. They have aprons which signify their standing in the Lodge. Their status is also reflected in the part that they play in the ritual .

They have social meets (dinner and chin wag) and business meets (where they learn lots of lines for the ritual)

ToothbrushThief Wed 12-Sep-12 23:11:57

What McPhee said... I'd add honour and old fashioned values to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now