To want to move to the south coast?

(96 Posts)
mummymacbeth Thu 09-Aug-12 22:53:59

I live in Scotland, I have some friends who have recently moved to the south coast (Brighton and Eastbourne). They are loving it. Am I mad to think I could have a better life by moving to the south coast (better weather, proximity to the continent)? It seems so achievable. Is there a downside? Anyone done it?

Inyourhippyhat Fri 10-Aug-12 00:05:27

Don't get me started. Southern girl living in the far north. <Sigh>

OhDearNigel Fri 10-Aug-12 00:12:25

YANBU. I live in Eastbourne, it's great here smile

OhDearNigel Fri 10-Aug-12 00:16:15

this for example is a really nice development a stone's throw from the sea and in the very bijoux Meads Village. It's not far from where we are in the town centre.

Eastbourne is a lovely place to live, well situated for railway and roads, low crime rate and decent schools/amenities. The only downside is that there isn't really a thriving job market here - what areas do you work in ? Hospitality is the biggest employer here

OhDearNigel Fri 10-Aug-12 00:19:08

Ah, now this really is a gem - and in a lovely area near a nice park, lovely schools and waitrose :D

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 10-Aug-12 00:25:13

Sod that! It's expensive, overpopulated, light polluted, vehicle polluted...
I live in East Anglia. The Tendring peninsula to be exact.
It rains. A lot. Sideways. It's really windy. As in hard to stand up straight.
Last winter in the cold snap, it was -14. My car froze to the driveway! it's full of Essex people I'll swap you scotland! --anything to get away from "Darlin" and "innit"!

mummymacbeth Fri 10-Aug-12 00:27:29

Nigel, I am in management consultancy and dh in customer service/ sales, so fairly generic. Would never move without having jobs sorted.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 10-Aug-12 00:29:27

I live within 20 minutes drive of two ferry ports. I have NEVER been aboard!

mummymacbeth Fri 10-Aug-12 00:30:03

Saggy, east anglia can't be that bad, you have Alan Partridge!

cantspel Fri 10-Aug-12 00:32:47

Sussex is lovely and a great place to live. I am in West Sussex having moved from Surrey.
You dont need mountains when you have the sussex downs on one side and the coast on the other.
I dont know how it compares cost wise with scotland as i have only been to scotland once and that was nearly 30 years ago when i went for a long weekend to edinburgh

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 10-Aug-12 00:33:03

Dear God! Shoot me now!

FallenCaryatid Fri 10-Aug-12 00:47:03

East Anglia?
Flat as a piece of paper and wet. Only thing I likes about it was the spectacular rainbows, Ely cathedral and...um...
Move to the South coast! smile

PigletJohn Fri 10-Aug-12 00:57:42

I am not far from Chi and grow fine crops of dessert grapes in the garden.

Have not found a supplier of palm trees but outdoor Yuccas are taller than me. The Pompey ferries are nearest.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 10-Aug-12 00:57:51

Nah, im in Sarf East Angular! It's not that flat. Lots of downy uppy hills. I prefer the uppy downy sort Dedham vale is just next door. I am about five minutes away from the dryest spot in Great Britain too! doesn't stop it raining sideways though!
It's nothing but cars and tourists here!

Inyourhippyhat Fri 10-Aug-12 01:06:01

SaggyOldCloth Give me Darlin' and innit any day if I do not have to be called Hen or asked about the referendum! That's another thing... Not sure that we southern guys and gals will exactly be loved en Ecosse after 2014 whether the ref....dum goes through or whether it doesn't. It'll be the English wot gets the blame either way! (And breathe)

ddubsgirl Fri 10-Aug-12 01:10:39

south coast born & bred dont think i could ever leave the coast love it too much altho scotland is tempting,love it there too

mummymacbeth Fri 10-Aug-12 01:15:40

The referendum is something else completely - I honestly don't know anyone who wants independence for Scotland - the very idea blows my mind - but who knows what will happen ?!

Flyingwithoutwings Fri 10-Aug-12 08:52:02

Yanbu. I'm on the south coast (between Portsmouth and Southampton) and I love it here, the climate is the best in the UK.
DH is from Scotland, we visit regularly. We considered moving up there as MIL is 1000 times more helpful than my DM and she would look after DS while I worked etc .

The deal breaker was the weather. I really could not live there. DH and I have been together 20 years. I've always spent time up there in all seasons. I talk to MIL regularly and know how cold / wet there are.
Ok, it's been shite down here this year but it's never been this bad... And today it'll be 25 and glorious, I'm filling the pool up as I write.
DH's friends visit us to enjoy the weather most years, we only go up there out of duty (although I do love the scenery).

My advice is to find jobs and get down here. It is busy, it is expensive but it's lovely.
The New Forest is down the road, IOW a short ferry trip and Peppa Pig World is a short drive away - what else is there in life?!! grin

Lara2 Fri 10-Aug-12 09:05:10

I'm between Southampton and Pompey too - it's just great. Born and bred here, moved away several times, but always come back. I have to live by the sea - nothing like it. Plus, gorgeous countryside on the doorstep, big cities close by,airports and ferryports close too. It's usually warmer then most places and I love it!!!

FallenCaryatid Fri 10-Aug-12 09:07:59

I love the South Downs, picnics on cropped turf in the sunshine looking out towards the sea.
We don't have those nasty Highland midges either.

Camelsshouldnteatcrisps Fri 10-Aug-12 09:21:49

My Mum comes from the north (almost Scotland but not quite), she has lived on the south coast for 40 years and would never go back up north mainly because of the weather.

We used to go up to visit family a few times a year so I grew up knowing what 'proper' cold is, as a result I can appreciate how much warmer it is down here, it's not very often that I need to wrap up against the cold 'northern style'.

This year has been rubbish admittedly, but a couple of years ago I met up with family in Newcastle, I had a tan just from looking after the DC'd and doing the nursery run etc, they all thought that I must have been away as they had had no sun at all that summer.

icecold Fri 10-Aug-12 09:27:06

With global warming and weather patterns shifting, I wouldn't be hasty in moving for the weather

The jet stream has been lower this year, which means the south has had much of the rain that normally falls in the north

FWIW I lived in Brighton for 6 months and think its really pretentious and over priced. You couldn't pay me to go back. (northener in the south-west)

FallenCaryatid Fri 10-Aug-12 09:40:23

Yes, it has been wet but the temperature has stayed reasonable, I've not had the heating on this summer. Don't get the freezing haar as a matter of course.

mummymacbeth Fri 10-Aug-12 09:43:42

All very positive from the south coasters! Yeah, wouldn't be able to afford Brighton anyway grin

Vagaceratops Fri 10-Aug-12 09:49:19

YANBU - If I could afford to move I would, but would go to N. Norfolk.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 10-Aug-12 10:51:19

I'd a hundred times rather be called Hen or Lassie than Darlin or Chick!
I'm moving to Shetland when ive convinced DP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now