to be pissed off about diamond jubilee celebrations at DD's school

(77 Posts)
tomatoface Mon 21-May-12 20:25:31

sorry if this has been done before but DD came home with a letter saying they are having a tea party, flags, etc etc & they need to wear red, white and blue

AAAAGH

the thought of it brings me out in a rash. What do I do, pretend she's sick? Let her enjoy a party I don't believe in? Send her in but dressed in normal clothes (they don't have a uniform) and risk her being upset for not being dressed like everyone else.

So annoyed that it's been rammed down our throats

treefumaster Mon 21-May-12 20:29:01

um, I'd just go along with it. It'll be fun for the kids. No need to make a big political deal out of it (which would equate to you ramming your ideas down your DD's throoat which is what you think the school is doing).

I'm sort of a republican myself but I'm pleased our school are putting on a big event. It's an occasion for celebration and that in itself is a good thing - just having a party is a good thing for school spirit.

I still remember our silver jubilee street party and sstill have my commemorative coin somewhere, despite my views.

Can I ask why you don't want to celebrate the DJ? How old is your DD and does she want to just join in with her friends rather than celebrate specifically the fact that the Queen has been reigning monarch for 60 years?

Sorry for all the q's..

chugginalong Mon 21-May-12 20:30:24

Just let her enjoy the party. She doesn't have to go as a walking union flag.
The teachers probably don't believe in it either!

DameHermione Mon 21-May-12 20:31:43

FFS get over it. Its a party. Not roasting puppies on a flipping bonfire.

HolyCameraConfusionBatman Mon 21-May-12 20:32:59

What do you do? Dress her in red, white and blue and hope she enjoys the day. Obviously.

Mishy1234 Mon 21-May-12 20:33:30

I would just go with it OP and let her join in the festivities. It will take more of your energy to fight against it and it will be over in a flash!

bigjoeent Mon 21-May-12 20:33:31

Jeans, white t, red cardigan and a huge hat with a union jack on it.

crikeybill Mon 21-May-12 20:33:39

Just let her do it. She's 4. She won't be thinking ooh I love the queen I do. She'll be thinking ooh I love lemon curd sandwiches and isn't it fun dressing up. Jeez live a little.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 21-May-12 20:34:04

You are being a misery. The party isn't even one you are invited too!

Should the rest of the school miss out on a national celebration because a few parents are no fun?

Let your dd enjoy it and she can make up her own mind about the Monarchy when she is old enough.

Mutt Mon 21-May-12 20:35:22

Oh don't be so miserable.

This isn't about you and your beliefs. It's about your DD joining in a party.

hmm

Blu Mon 21-May-12 20:35:47

I don't 'believe' in it either, but on the other hand think it does no harm to party - it's a historical occasion, it's 'cultural' - a bit like Christmas for non-christians: you can have the party and still have political beliefs.

Do celebrate bonfire night with fireworks, going to a display or a bonfire? If so, why?

LowFlyingBirds Mon 21-May-12 20:36:24

Dullard.

tomatoface Mon 21-May-12 20:37:08

ha ha you lot are making me laugh, I know I'm a party pooper grin

OldGreyWiffleTest Mon 21-May-12 20:38:42

You're an 'ole misery, OP.

PeppermintCreams Mon 21-May-12 20:39:21

Just be grateful your 4 year old doesn't have to dress up in 1950's fancy dress. Suggested ideas in the letter was Elvis and the cast of Grease.

The school council suggested the 1950's theme. shock

wasabipeanut Mon 21-May-12 20:40:33

YABU. They are doing something similar at DS's school. DS is excited about dressing up and having a tea party with his little friends. I bought him a £3 union jack t shirt from Sainsburys which he'll wear with jeans or shorts - hardly a massive outlay.

Isityouorme Mon 21-May-12 20:42:23

A kid has to dress up in red/white/blue - get over it and stop being a misery guts.

Wearing fifties costume, bastard organisers!

AKMD Mon 21-May-12 20:42:46

YABU. It's a party. It's going to be everywhere. I suppose you could keep her at home with the curtains drawn and eat cold beans on toast with likeminded friends, but really.

emilyateallthepies Mon 21-May-12 20:42:47

hmm

Mutt Mon 21-May-12 20:43:44

Agree whoever thought of 1950s fancy dress idea is a fucking bastard.

tomatoface Mon 21-May-12 20:43:58
JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 21-May-12 20:45:12

Send her in a Sex Pistols t-shirt.

tomatoface Mon 21-May-12 20:46:33

he he I did think of that jenai but better not, the headmaster is scary

bigjoeent Mon 21-May-12 20:46:46

Jenai - I'm stealing that idea for DS jubilee party

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now