To be a bit hmmm at friend using DD's name for her dog?

(83 Posts)
ScottishHag Tue 07-Feb-12 19:28:40

We each have 3 DC's, two of whom are in the same classes at school. She approached me last week and said they had just bought a puppy and called it the same name as my 2 year old DD, it's not a particularly common name so am just wondering if aibu to be a bit hmm ? We aren't good friends but see each other everyday and she will no doubt be bringing the dog with her to school everyday.

EchoBeached Fri 10-Feb-12 23:35:06

Cherry is a great name for a baby/girl/woman. I was at school with a Cherry, she was great. Can't see why it wouldn't work for a dog too and think you shouldn't take it amiss, OP.

My elderly cat is Oscar. My ex DP always hated the cat (it was mutual). Fast forward 10 years and ex DP now has a boy of his own called Oscar. Weird. Oscar for me will always be a cat's name.

sandy1969 Fri 10-Feb-12 19:53:52

You are being completely reasonable. It is weird. It isn't a guinea pig or other small pet kept in someone's house, that might be sweet. No this is a dog that will presumably be called occassionally near the school. The children may play with it and will all know it's name. It isn't reasonable of her to call her dog by your daughters unusual and pretty name. It wouldn't be unreasonable to tell her you feel weird about it.

I would be embarrassed to call a dog by my daughters five year old good friend with an unusual name, it would seem rude. Even if my daughter wished it I would tell her no because we would get them confused.

changeneeded Fri 10-Feb-12 19:26:12

YANBU a friend done this with my dds name also, very uncomon but definatly not a dogs name.

the fucking dog got run over, friend posted on FB her dd was devistated as sadly xx had been run over dtae time etc...RIP such a beuatiful girl.

I felt sick reading that then even worse when I was inundated with messages of support etc. It actually creeped me out.

slightlyadrift Fri 10-Feb-12 18:09:15

My son Oscar once won a competition at a stately house we'd visited and we were invited back with other families to collect a prize and have a tour of the house. It turned out the aged Lady Suchandsuch's adored black poodle had the same name, and as the children were posed for a photo on the huge staircase suddenly commanded 'Sit Oscar!' which caused her much merriment when my Oscar's confusion was explained... sad little anecdote or what? The thread just reminded me, and loads of dogs and the odd cat are called Oscar - cool name!

valiumredhead Fri 10-Feb-12 16:57:03

The thing is, it is not YOUR name exclusively, it's a name and can be used for a dog or child. It's a nice name , I can't summon up enough energy to get my knickers in a twist about it tbh.

dandelions really uncalled for.

nightingale452 Fri 10-Feb-12 16:43:59

One of my great aunts had a dog with the same name as me - not a very common name (I think it's actually used more often for dogs hmm). I used to feel slightly miffed as a child, but mostly for effect, I have to admit smile.

I don't think the dog was named after me - in fact, come to think of it, the dog must have been older than me so maybe I was named after the dog?

Anyway, I think your relationship with the dog owner is what determines whether you are a) flattered or b) miffed. If your best friend decided to name her dog in honour of your DD you'd be pleased, right?

Plonker Fri 10-Feb-12 16:16:02

Yes dandelionss, she named her baby, child and adult-to-be, Cherry.

She didn't ask your opinion on the name and to offer one when you have not been asked, is rude imo.

maybe you are talking about me, cherry the dog is nearly 2.

dandelionss Fri 10-Feb-12 16:08:16

'Op's dd is 2 years old dandelionss'
exactly .. you don't name a baby , without naming a child, a teenager and a woman!

omg you named your baby after my dog. grin

Plonker Fri 10-Feb-12 16:00:06

Op's dd is 2 years old dandelionss, and she didn't ask your opinion on her name. That's really rather rude.

I wouldn't like it either op. SIL named their new puppy a name that is very very similar to my dd3's name ...it does annoy me.

Y (and I) ABU though. We don't own the names and we just have to get over it.

dandelionss Fri 10-Feb-12 15:49:44

Bad name for a dog or a girl.
OP, you do know what 'cherry' is slang for ?

lottielou39 Fri 10-Feb-12 15:37:32

we got a dog a few years ago and my daughters wanted to name her after a school friend. I don't know or care if it caused offence. Names are not for sale. It's a free world.

iwouldgoouttonight Fri 10-Feb-12 14:17:53

TheCuntwormUnderfoot grin

Hairynigel Fri 10-Feb-12 14:13:13

We named our cat after DP's dad, he hated it at first but think he finds it a bit funnier now, it might grow on you as well.

TheCuntwormUnderfoot Fri 10-Feb-12 14:12:30

I once had the most amazing rat that I would happily name my child after.

iwouldgoouttonight Fri 10-Feb-12 14:08:35

DS has the same name as a hamster I used to have - I just really like the name! One of my friends enjoys winding me up that I named my son after a hamster.

One of DS's friends have just given their puppy the same name as my DD. They didn't know DD's name at the time as we didn't know them very well. But when they found out they were really apologetic about it, but I don't mind at all. I just makes me realise we have chosen a lovely name that other people also like! grin

Spermysextowel Wed 08-Feb-12 00:39:59

You couldn't call a child Brian these days. The only plus point is that it's often misspelt as Brain, so at least they'd feel a sense of achievement sometimes, albeit accidental.

Driftwood999 Wed 08-Feb-12 00:38:00

OP, sorry, didn't answer your post properly, fwisw yabu. Although I get your point, Cherry is not a particularly common name.

BonzoDooDah Wed 08-Feb-12 00:37:37

We did the opposite and named out DD the same name as our friend's dog! We liked the name waaay before they got the dog and were a bit gutted they used that name but it all worked out well. When they visit The dog gets called TinyBonzo I and DD called TinyBonzo II grin

Driftwood999 Wed 08-Feb-12 00:29:52

"I've lost my Cherry" grin grin parents, please think before naming dc

TakeYourScaffoldingWithYou Wed 08-Feb-12 00:22:27

YANBU but lets hope your friend aint great at dog training.

I'm not sure I'd want to be stomping round the local rec twice a day with the mutt shouting variations on "Cherry, I 've lost my Cherry"

springydaffs Wed 08-Feb-12 00:18:10

I wouldn't like it. YANBU - she is.

Longdistance Wed 08-Feb-12 00:16:56

I also know someone with a cat called Brian, and she named her son Felix confused

Spermysextowel Wed 08-Feb-12 00:05:28

There was a boy called Fenton at my sons' nursery. Don't know how old the famous dog is, so not sure who got there first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now