To be a bit hmmm at friend using DD's name for her dog?

(83 Posts)
ScottishHag Tue 07-Feb-12 19:28:40

We each have 3 DC's, two of whom are in the same classes at school. She approached me last week and said they had just bought a puppy and called it the same name as my 2 year old DD, it's not a particularly common name so am just wondering if aibu to be a bit hmm ? We aren't good friends but see each other everyday and she will no doubt be bringing the dog with her to school everyday.

QuacksForDoughnuts Tue 07-Feb-12 20:02:06

I used to name our local semi-wild ducks after people I admired - I'd hate to think anyone was insulted by sharing a handle with the little cuties! On the other hand if the situation involves an animal who is a full-time part of one family and a child who is part of a family the first one interacts with, it could get confusing. OH's cousin has a dog, pretty much by coincidence, who has the same name as OH's brother's little boy (also the name of a musician they both like). Meanwhile, my cousin's son has the name their cat had for a little while until the cat turned out to be female - at least that problem is rarer with human children. wink Maybe it just comes down to whether you (and your child) like the species in question!

BrianCoxHasScaryHair Tue 07-Feb-12 20:03:28

My DD's friends (twins) got 2 guinea pigs.

They named them after my DD and our other friend's DS.

Was very sweet, until the inevitable day that the one named after DD went to the big GP hutch in the sky.....my DD was distraught!

Hulababy Tue 07-Feb-12 20:16:55

I would assume they had chosen the name as they liked the name - so a compliment if anything surely?

Just asked my 9y DD how she would feel if xxx (friends of ours) got a pet and called it her name. DD says it'd be quite cool and asked why on earth would anyone be upset?

Maybe if the women as being deliberately unkind and doing it to be horrid - but I can't see that personally!

HintofBream Tue 07-Feb-12 21:06:42

When DS2 was born we gave him a fairly unusual biblical name. Simultaneously some friends acquired a guinea pig and quite coincidentally gave it the same name. Other friends on hearing this, rushed round to their house saying "You can't call it that, that's the name of the Breams' new baby". So they changed it and quite right too!

hiddenhome Tue 07-Feb-12 21:08:25

My chickens are named after the nightstaff at work. Nothing in it, just they have suitable names.

MULLYPEEP Tue 07-Feb-12 21:11:55

yanbu - thats wierd behaviour

halcyondays Tue 07-Feb-12 21:16:21

Yanbu, it's just a name. It wouldn't bother me at all and most young children are pleased when they meet another child or animal with the same name.

MateyMooo Tue 07-Feb-12 21:19:43

my dd wants a chihauhau named cherry.

she wanted to call her first cat 'bog eye', we compromised on 'Rosie bog eye' the bog eye has dropped so now the cat answers to rosie.

after rosie the cat she has called everything rose, rosie, rosella etc

she must get it from me though, i had 4 degus called eenie, meenie, miney and mo when i was little

lesley33 Tue 07-Feb-12 21:21:59

tbh I never understand these kind of threads. Sorry I really don't understand the issue. It doesn't devalue your DD or her name you know.

dogscatsandbabies Tue 07-Feb-12 21:23:09

If a friend called a pet after my DD I would be fine with it. I found it more odd when a friend named her baby Molly which (she knew fine rightly) is the name of our dog. But also a lovely name.

Cherry is not a dog's name! A lovely lovely girl's name, but not a dog's name. I would be annoyed. Definitely. She's doing it to provoke a reaction I'd say! Personally, I'd tell her how you feel. Yes, you don't 'own' the name, but you got there first!!!! ;)

fatlazymummy Tue 07-Feb-12 22:23:49

Of course Cherry can be a dog's name. I had a dog called Ruby [not chosen by me], I wasn't going to change it just because many people call their children it.
Having said that, I wouldn't have chosen a specific name if it was also the name of a friend or family members child. It would be confusing, apart from anything else.

TheCuntwormUnderfoot Tue 07-Feb-12 22:42:43

If you think she's doing it to wind you up because she's a bit catty, I'd suggest you start gently taking the piss - 'Ooh people are going to think you like us just a bit TOO much, calling your dog after us!' 'How's the hero-worship hound then?'
'You're going to look like our stalker!' 'Is this your substitute for not having a real baby Cherry then?' etc. etc.

Try and turn it round so that you make her feel the foolish one.

Bogeyface Tue 07-Feb-12 22:50:11

When I was about 6 my parents friends called their dog my name! I dont know how my parents felt about it, I will ask them, but I thought it was funny!

Luckily she was a soft-as-shit labrador not a rip-yer-face-off pitbull, otherwise I might have felt differently!

Bogeyface Tue 07-Feb-12 22:51:32

I should add that I think that the best names for animals are human names, we had a cat called Dave before my allergy started up!

OurPlanetNeptune Tue 07-Feb-12 22:55:19

Sister of friend gave her horse same name as me. I had no problem with it. Flattered if anything. I don't own the name.

Agree with Bogey, the best name for animals are human names. Dd's favourite pony at the riding stables is Dave!!

We adopted a dog from a rescue centre last summer. He already had (and responded to) a name. Name is the same as the one of my best friend's 12 year old ds. I asked her if she minded and she did not.
Luckily dog is lovely and quite handsome so friends ds quite happy smile

We gave our DD the same name as the ILs' dog. ('Tis a human name!) MIL was very hmm but I wasn't going to admit that it was my favourite ever girl's name and that any DD of mine was always going to have that name! MIL presumably thought I'd copied her!

cocoachannel Tue 07-Feb-12 23:01:02

I like the name Cherry pronounced like the fruit for human or dog. I went to school with a lovely girl called Cherry.

Our dog is Ruby. I now know a lot of baby Rubies! I blame the Kaiser Chiefs.

I knew someone whose cats were called Keith and Brian, but her DS was called Solstice. DH said to her what everyone must think but doesn't say, "So, you gave the cats normal names but gave the baby a silly name. Usually it's the other way round!" Luckily she laughed but I was blush

cocoachannel Tue 07-Feb-12 23:02:02

Okay, maybe not a lot. Three.

mercibucket Tue 07-Feb-12 23:05:12

Last thread like this it turned out the dd was called sally - which is totally a dog's name - also 'tilly'
Not to say they are not also lovely names for girls of course
'Cherry' is more unusual so perhaps your friend is not v imaginative. Just buy an ugly stick insect and name it after her. You will feel much better and they don't take much looking after :-)

RevoltingPeasant Tue 07-Feb-12 23:09:48

It is definitely weird and not like naming a fish after someone - I mean, you don't stand in the local park calling the fish, for one thing.

Human names as dog names can be funny. I was walking a neighbour's dog once and he did something naughty, so I said 'Henry, no!' quite sharply - and a little old man walking ahead of us jumped and looked guiltily back at me. grin

minimisschief Tue 07-Feb-12 23:45:06

you dont own the name get over it

historyrepeats Tue 07-Feb-12 23:48:55

Bitch shock not good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now