Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lactose free diet - but are whey and casein okay?

(4 Posts)

dairy free is different to being lactose free as lactose is the milk sugar and whey/casein are the milk proteins. Double check whether you just have to exclude lactose as otherwise he should be ok to have other foods with whey/casein in.

DiamondDoris Wed 06-Feb-13 08:09:06

Thanks Forgetfulmog - he loves chocolate milk and bourbons! I wish they didn't put whey powder in evertyhing.

Forgetfulmog Wed 06-Feb-13 08:03:02

Yes you do need to cut out all traces of dairy including whey. Food labels are pretty good these days (btw I'm on a dairy free diet for my dd who I'm BF) & will say under the allergies section if it contains milk.

Waitrose essential digestives are dairy free, as are most supermarket brands of bourbons.

Oatley chocolate milk is lush, but kara original is best for cooking, on cereal etc

Good luck!

DiamondDoris Wed 06-Feb-13 07:36:09

DS starts an exclusion diet of lactose for possible lactose intolerance. But seeing as whey is a protein (he's not allergic in anyway) can he still eat foods containing whey? Like digestive biscuits? He has gut problems and asd traits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now