I can't be the only person struggling to buy secret Santa gifts. So lets form a drop in help desk

(134 Posts)
Arisbottle Sat 08-Dec-12 18:12:03

My secret Santa gift receiver is a man which immediately makes it hard for me.

We are supposed to spend about £10 and buy four small gifts any ideas

He is in his 50s and spends all his time doing sport

GreatCongas Sat 08-Dec-12 23:24:27

4 things?
Bottle
Contents
Cork/top
Label

BadIdeaGenes Sat 08-Dec-12 23:33:23

I'd love help with mine!

She's my flat mate, 24 y/o and a midwifery student who likes owls. Our budget is £7.50 (there was a disagreement between whether it should be £5 or £10)

Any ideas would be greatly received smile

Arisbottle Sat 08-Dec-12 23:56:02

lol Great congas.

Have now got my gifts, hope others get the help they need.

cityangel Sun 09-Dec-12 00:26:19
cityangel Sun 09-Dec-12 00:35:10
ByTheWay1 Sun 09-Dec-12 08:25:29

we had our meal last night and my Secret Santa gift was loved - and coveted - and I wanted it myself....

Just a jar of smiles from Thorntons (was even free 'cos I bought 2 presents for family there) - in a fabric bag I made with loads of sparkle and ribbons and a big lush bow..

That jar sounds lovely.

I bought my recipient bed socks from Matalan. They have lots of lovely socks, pjs etc. and a mug with hot chocolate, marshmallows all tied up in cellophane - truth be told I won that in a raffle last week but I think she will like it.

SamsGoldilocks Sun 09-Dec-12 08:52:42

We did a pound shop secret Santa - I gave 2pairs of false eyelashes. (poundland had lots of sally hansen nail varnish and nail art bits too)

Best gift given was an led coaster for 99p from store 21. When you put a drink on the coaster it lights up your drink and changes colour. Brilliant.

parsnipcake Sun 09-Dec-12 11:33:10

Anyone got any ideas for me? We are doing a family secret Santa with a 'homemade' theme, where you are allowed to spend £10 on materials. Somehow the baby was included and he has to produce a gift for dd (12) who has ASD and learning difficulties. I am thinking along the lines of homemade play dough, because he could help stir it etc and they could lay with it together, but does anyone have a better idea? ( she is more like a 5 year old than 12 yr old).

Homemade playdough sounds an excellent idea! Or maybe a mixing bowl and the stuff to make fairy cakes, sprinkles, writing icing etc. Ok it's not homemade but it WILL be homemade when she makes the fairy cakes!

pinkpinkeverywhere Sun 09-Dec-12 16:31:25

If anyone has ideas for a £1 secret santa i'd be appreciative. I'm quite good with ideas normally but not for £1. Male and female recipients..... Looking forward to hearing from more imaginative people than me!

icclebabyjesusheave Sun 09-Dec-12 16:34:36

Every year I cheat. As I always buy some stuff from Boots for the family, I always get my secret santa in the 3 for 2 section so it costs me nowt.

<cheapskate>

SamsGoldilocks Sun 09-Dec-12 18:27:45

Pink see my post above. One of the other recipients got a make up bag and another a snow globe -all from 99p shops.

UniS Sun 09-Dec-12 18:59:14

4 modest boxes of chocs.

I have a student on placement as my SS this year. I'm getting them one large box of chocs.

UniS Sun 09-Dec-12 19:00:21

£1 ideas... poundland is your friend, and chocolate. A big toberone looks more impressive than most.

PenguinBear Sun 09-Dec-12 19:26:39

I have to buy for a young girl at work. She's 18 and loves leopard print. Budget is £8, any ideas? smile

Arisbottle Sun 09-Dec-12 19:29:49

I bet you could get a set of lip glossed for £8. I bet the Boots 3 for 2 will be your friend

DPs 19 year old cousin is our family secret santa this year. HELP! I have only met her twice!

Shes studying civil engineering at uni and is a regular church goer so I dont really want to get her a silly present. The budget is £15!

Mutt Sun 09-Dec-12 19:55:07

PenguinBear - get her the MN scarf.

Here

LoganMummy Sun 09-Dec-12 21:25:48

I always find scratchcards work well, especially if you have just £1 or so to stick to.

I hate secret santas; this year when I plunged my hand into the sack, the name I drew out was .................

...... my own.

And I still don't know what to get. confused

Is anybody any good at candles or incense? I have a slightly older hippy-esque lady, she is single, lives with her older son and is into all things mysterious and dark - like an older goth ha ha

It's a £10 limit and I'd like it to be relatively thoughtful - but have no ideas about oils or candles or incense, nothing tacky

Arisbottle Sun 09-Dec-12 22:09:23

TK Maxx is the place to go for candles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now