Amazon Black Friday Thread - The day that we all buy kindles!

(540 Posts)

Morning all smile

I have a kindle in my basket, ready to go grin

Nice to see some Lego finally, but the sets aren't as good as last years by the looks of it sad

What will you have in your basket today?

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Fri 23-Nov-12 08:54:26

They run Amazon apps but not Apple ones IIRC.

The battery life on the Kindle Fire is pants. If I wanted an e-reader I'd get a standard Kindle. If I wanted a tablet I'd get an iPad. If I wanted both I'd get an iPad Mini and download the Kindle app.

My opinion might have been different if the discount today had been a bit better grin

aimingtobeaperfectionist Fri 23-Nov-12 08:54:27

Yes!! I've never heard of it and am obviously missing out

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Fri 23-Nov-12 08:55:14

Also, the Kindle Fire doesn't have 3G.

I'd get an ipad (I have one) you can read on the kindle, watch tv (live on itv) and catch up plus there's millions of apps. I buy books off Amazon (on the ipad) and they get sent straight to it.

Sorry, you can read on the kindle app.

kellestar Fri 23-Nov-12 08:58:49

Was excited about Battlestar Galactica, then realised it's Blueray, we aren't that way inclined yet. sad

Though oddly considering the Vax S2 steam mop... I know... I'm not usually into domestic things, but I hate mopping with a vengeance. But it's 10.30 ish and I've got to go out this morning as I've not been out all week as we've all had stinking colds.

Also thinking about the lexar jump drive 32gb @ 4pm

I wouldn't have gone for the Kindle Fire if it was for myself but its what my mum has asked for this Christmas so bought it for her.

Kveta Fri 23-Nov-12 09:00:17

we have a google nexus with the kindle app already, seems as good as DH's kindle tbh. I am not too inspired by the kindle fire, though the HD one looks good.

NoSoggyBottoms Fri 23-Nov-12 09:00:54

aimingtobeaperfectionist

Here's how it works.

Go to Amazon.co.uk. Top left hand corner is the link to the Black Friday deals, so click on that. Wait for page to load.

Once loaded, you'll see the "Black Friday Lightning Deals". You can see what is already available and what is upcoming.

The price isn't revealed until the counter has gone down to zero. It will automatically refresh when it goes down to zero...be patient, might take a few seconds. You then have until the offer is all claimed or time runs out to get the deal (click on "Add to basket"). Once you've added it to your basket, you have 15 mins to checkout or you'll lose the deal.

Just as an extra, if you notice that an offer hasn't expired but all claimed, it will say "Join Waitlist". We have found that quite often if you click "Join Waitlist" you'll still get the item in your basket at the deal price, but still have the 15 min limit to checkout.

Hth

NoSoggyBottoms Fri 23-Nov-12 09:01:51

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sorry, TOP RIGHT hand corner, not left!

NoSoggyBottoms Fri 23-Nov-12 09:04:40

....also, some items sell out very fast, others don't, so if you want it, be quick with your fingers!

Might also be worth checking out how much other places are selling the product as some deals aren't quite as good as they seem.

Piemistress Fri 23-Nov-12 09:05:33

Whoever asked about the Lovefilm subscription you have 6 months to start using it. I got one last year and didn't start it until this June when I went on maternity leave smile

whatkungfuthat Fri 23-Nov-12 09:05:38

I cancelled the kindle, and intend to drop massive hints for the ipad for xmas grin

Piemistress Fri 23-Nov-12 09:06:57

On my list so far (despite 3hrs sleep I'm not going to nap when DD naps, a decision I might regret!)

Scuttlebug
Sat Nav
Video Monitor (maybe)
Jamie Oliver
Rocket Dog
Kids Poncho
Nappies and Wipes
Mr Men set (maybe)
Clothes Dryer

Let's see how lucky I am or how much DD lets me spend time on the computer smile

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Fri 23-Nov-12 09:07:39

What time are the Kindles? I can't see it anywhere confused

I want the massive Savic Royal Suite, but i would like it for about £50, don't think that's very likely grin (Is £319......)

NoSoggyBottoms Fri 23-Nov-12 09:11:20

Gobbers Kindles are at £99 all day. Not a lightning deal. Follow the links on the site or just go to the normal Kindle listing

NoSoggyBottoms Fri 23-Nov-12 09:12:34
bagpuss Fri 23-Nov-12 09:21:12

mustafa the ninjago temple is very fragile and unless your ds is a very careful child I wouldn't go for it as play would be a bit limited. My two older dses have rebuilt it a fair bit but they are 12 and 7 and although ds2 still loves it and plays with it a lot, I think if he had been a bit younger it might not have been so good. There is a police lorry set on amazon today too. It looks similar to the Lego agents lorry that ds1 had a few years back, which dh said was a nicely rigid structure to build and went together quickly!

LalaDipsey Fri 23-Nov-12 09:22:43

So I want....
Pink watch at 9.30
Jamie O
Mr Men
Nappies
Wipes
Baby monitor if good price to keep at parents so I don't have to pack up the home one every time I goto visit
.... Glad the Kayak's not on today... I keep getting an urge to buy one even tho I have never Kayak'd in my life!!

Aspiemum2 Fri 23-Nov-12 09:24:22

How much do you think the nappies will be? We could certainly do with a good deal in this house!

BeedleTheBard Fri 23-Nov-12 09:24:26

ooh I think they've added to more stuff - or maybe I just missed it earlier!

anklebitersmum Fri 23-Nov-12 09:24:38

got 2 kindles..that's the teens sorted grin

still watching for the laptop later though in case the deal's better confused

Pie, the scuttle bugs are great, we have one smile
Right, back from drop off, off to make a list for today now smile

NoSoggyBottoms Fri 23-Nov-12 09:38:32

Anyone think the Emeli Sande CD could be reduced to £1? Or too much wishful thinking on my part? grin

LalaDipsey Fri 23-Nov-12 09:39:38

I have the pink watch in my basket but can't justify it sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now