The 'I hate Christmas cards but love Christmas' support thread now open

(112 Posts)

have sent no cards for more than 5 years.
My life is not worse.
In fact it is quite a bit better

And don't start me on round robins.....

rockboobs Fri 21-Oct-11 22:47:45

Me too. I never send but I still receive them every year, even though everyone knows my preferences.

I 'get' that some people just like the whole deal of writing their cards out but I don't.

Its not even entirely for ecological reasons. I just don't see the point. at all.

glad someone else feels the same.

NoHunIntended Fri 21-Oct-11 22:49:14

Oh, me too!

Pascha Fri 21-Oct-11 22:50:24

I don't see the point of cards except posted to those you wouldn't see anyway. Why the hell would I give a card to someone I see every day? Pointless waste of money.

We are a MOVEMENT!

I used to actually MAKE cards to send to people I hardly know and wouldn't recognize in the street.
I have seen the light and am quite evangelical about this nonsense.

And the money.........

GetOrfMo1Land Fri 21-Oct-11 22:54:13

YES!

I too am evangelical. Don't send a card to anyone apart from MIL who would be truly hurt, bless her.

I have broken away from the tyranny of it. I don't display the cards we receiev either.

<punches air>

trixymalixy Fri 21-Oct-11 22:55:42

I bloody hate writing cards, so having to write hundreds in one go is torture for e!

GetOrfMo1Land Fri 21-Oct-11 22:58:15

Give it up trixy.

Throw off the tyrannical chains of card writing opression.

HOORAY.
Can we march somewhere? It is all the rage at the moment...

'what do we want?'
'no cards'
'when do we not want them?'

'sorry, a bit confused by the double negative, there....ummm, we don't want them, OK'

trixy
come and join us on the card less side!

GetOrfMo1Land Fri 21-Oct-11 23:01:38

I was always a bit crap at cards anyway - would write them and then cart them round in my bag until January having forgotten to give them out/post them.

And cards from your BANK.?????

That just gets me cross

NoHunIntended Fri 21-Oct-11 23:03:17

The last year I bothered, it took me days, and towards the end, my handwriting had become so indecipherable, there really was no point. Maybe they didn't even arrive that year if the postie couldn't read the address.
I haven't bothered the last few years, and feel much better for it.

AitchTwoOh Fri 21-Oct-11 23:04:14

i am terrible at cards... but i do get ashamed about it when i receive them. it's just another one of those things that i have to do or no one does them (cos it simply wouldn't occur to dh) therefore there is no friffin' way i am doing them.

NoHunIntended Fri 21-Oct-11 23:04:31

I still get a card from the mortgage advisor I used eight years ago!

trixymalixy Fri 21-Oct-11 23:04:47

I am going to make a stand this year! DH always goes on about them, but he can do them this year if he's that bothered!

(Which effectively means we'll be sending none)

Hooray trixy welcome in to the collective

Pascha Fri 21-Oct-11 23:07:32

I got it from my mum who ever since I can remember has proudly displayed all her christmas cards in a neat pile on the kitchen windowsill. Usually til about march hmm. Sometimes they don't even make it out of the envelope.

I feel quite evangelical on the subject.
Pointless waste of time, money and stamps.

aftereight Fri 21-Oct-11 23:08:55

Thank god, I thought I was alone on this one!
And what posessed people - like my mum - to send out 100+ cards to people they haven't even seen for years?

Humbuggers over here please.
Form a disorderly queue

GetOrfMo1Land Fri 21-Oct-11 23:10:55

My gran was like that.

She used to send cards to people she didn't even know the name of, but just happened to live on the street - To No. 87, Happy Christmas, From No. 2.

Also cards send to people who we met briefly on holiday 8 years previously hmm.

She sent upwards of 200 cards a year AND I HAD TO WRITE THEM ALL.

Bohica Fri 21-Oct-11 23:11:36

I never send cards, The children do school friends but they keep the cards the receive in their rooms.

Pointless bits of card.

The first job I dumped in my new ro

Hungrydragon Fri 21-Oct-11 23:11:37

I haven't sent Christmas cards for 9 years.

love Christmas though.

bibbitybobbitybloodyaxe Fri 21-Oct-11 23:12:50

Ha ha!

I am not a huge fan of Christmas but one of the very few things I really love about it are the cards! I love love love Christmas cards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now