We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Any identifying information we ask you to provide will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Mumsnet may change this policy from time to time by updating this page, so please do check it from regularly to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from May 28th 2012.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- your email address
- your chosen Talk name and password
- demographic information, such as your postcode and your IP address and, should you choose to tell us, your date of birth, whether you are pregnant or not (and, if you are, when your due date is) and/or whether or not you have children and how many.
- your blog url and Twitter handle, should you join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network.
What we do with the information we gather
We do not, as a clear and overarching rule, pass on your information, unless you specifically consent to us doing so or we are specifically required to by law. However, on rare occasions where there appears to be a clear need to safeguard the welfare of a Mumsnetter and/or his/her family, it may be necessary to contact relevant authorities about a clearly identifiable member and his/her posts on Mumsnet.
We only use the information you give us to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular:
- For internal record keeping.
- To improve our services, and email you responses to discussion-board posts you have reported.
- To periodically send you emails about parenting news, Mumsnet news and courses, competitions, discounts or other information which we think you may find interesting, using the email address which you have provided. This includes updates on the Mumsnet Blogging Network, should you join.
- To send you pregnancy-stage emails or child development emails, should you choose to receive them.
- To contact you, but only with your prior permission, by email or personal message, for market-research purposes.
- To offer you, on our website pages, information based on your location.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical and electronic procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Passive Information Collection
As you navigate through this site, certain anonymous information can be passively collected (that is, gathered without your actively providing the information) using various technologies, such as cookies*, clicktags, beacons and other navigational data collection (such as server logs). Your internet browser automatically transmits to this site some of this anonymous information, such as the url of the website you just came from and the IP address and the browser version your computer is currently using.
This helps us analyse data about our site traffic, so we can improve Mumsnet and tailor it more to our members' needs. All information is anonymous and only used for operational purposes.
Links to other websites
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to change or restrict the use of your personal information by going to your My Mumsnet area and altering your registration details and subscribing/unsubscribing to our email options.
You may ask us to provide details of the personal information we hold about you, under the Data Protection Act 1998. To request this information, please mail us at email@example.com or write to Mumsnet Limited, Unit 6, Deane House Studios, 27 Greenwood Place, Highgate Rd, London NW5 1LB.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will, of course, happily correct any information that's found to be incorrect.