Plus size yoga

(21 Posts)
snozzlemaid Tue 21-Jul-15 19:02:23

I'm 43 and overweight (size20/22). I don't do any exercise at the moment apart from a bit of walking when time allows. I have never enjoyed any exercise except for swimming, but I can't motivate myself to start that again.
I can feel my joints are suffering and I really need to do something so I thought about yoga. I've found a yoga class close to me and they even do a plus size class, which sounds perfect.
Anyone got any experience of this and can you convince me it'll be alright.
I'm a real introvert and don't relish the idea of meeting a group of people and especially exercising in public.
I'm not sure I'm brave enough. I wish I had a plus size friend to go with, but I don't.

Fierceflora Tue 21-Jul-15 19:07:03

Hi snozzle. I'm a size 18 and have just started doing 'gentle yoga', it's totally brilliant and I love it! I def am the biggest there but I'm also the youngest by about 20-30 years so it's swimgs and roundabouts! I hate going to stuff on my own but I just bit the bullet and did it. The class I go to is very simple but it's a good start. Last week my stomach muscles were really aching for a couple days afterwards so it's def doing something. And I am very very inactive! Go for it, you've nothing to lose x

PurpleDaisies Tue 21-Jul-15 19:08:42

There are people of all shapes and sizes in my yoga class. I'm really unbendy with no balance so to start with I was a bit self conscious about wobbling and falling over a lot but everyone is concentrating on their own practice so I don't worry about it any more.

Definitely try it. I've got muscles where I had none before and I always find out feeling really chilled and relaxed. I ache the next day too so it definitely gives a good work out!

PurpleDaisies Tue 21-Jul-15 19:09:33

Come out feeling relaxed not find out!

snozzlemaid Tue 21-Jul-15 19:12:13

Thanks for the reassurance all. Good to hear lots of positives about yoga.
What would I wear to a yoga class?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 21-Jul-15 19:15:53

That sounds fantastic

Ive googled plus size yoga classes and can't find any - does anyone know any good sites to find any?

Op?

Bunbaker Tue 21-Jul-15 19:19:30

I'm struggling to understand why plus size yoga is any different to yoga for everyone. Surely it is better to have classes for beginners, intermediate and advanced yoga practitioners?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 21-Jul-15 19:22:05

Ive googled and it seems that they modify the poses to allow for extra weight

Bunbaker Tue 21-Jul-15 19:22:13

Just wear a T-shirt and leeggings or jogging bottoms. You need something that is comfortable and stretchy.

snozzlemaid Tue 21-Jul-15 19:24:39

Laurie I just googled yoga in my area and found a class. They just happened to do a plus size class -it's not something I was particularly looking for.
Bunbaker For me, being as large as I am, I think a plus size class is a brilliant idea. I'm much more likely to go along knowing everyone will be a plus size like me. I would dread a class being full of smaller people.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 21-Jul-15 19:28:34

Thanks smile

PurpleDaisies Tue 21-Jul-15 19:29:12

Beware very baggy t shirts that aren't tucked in-they will fall over your head in downward facing dog! Bitter personal experience there.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 21-Jul-15 19:29:42

I'm dying to go to yoga but I'm carrying extra fat and I have really dodgy hips - so I'd also prefer a plus size and beginners class

PurpleDaisies Tue 21-Jul-15 19:32:21

And you might want to try sonething very silly but useful- bend over as far as you can in front of a mirror and look at your bum to see if you can see your pants through your leggings. I did this in a changing room the other day to check my new leggings were suitable for yoga and I kicked the door and fell over so the attendant had to come and check I was ok.

candlesandlight Tue 21-Jul-15 19:38:50

Hi I started yoga a couple of years ago and my class has both males and females of all shapes ,sizes and ages. My teacher is a member of the British wheel of yoga, and includes mindfulness . The non competitive nature of the class is brilliant , not like both other things like aerobics where I always felt conscious of my lack of coordination and trendy gear. I would recommend you just try a local class , don't worry about plus size classes. Hopefully you will find a class like mine where everyone is on their individual yoga journey , is very supportive of each other and friendly.

Bunbaker Tue 21-Jul-15 20:02:04

My experience of yoga is very much like candle's. There were people of every age and size, and both sexes in my class. Honestly, you concentrate so much on what you are doing that you don't notice what anyone else is doing.

Ditto the comment about loos tops. If you must wear one, wear a vest top underneath to preserve your modesty.

weaselwords Tue 21-Jul-15 20:13:56

One of my very good friends is a plus sized yoga teacher. Her size isn't affecting her flexibility at all.

snozzlemaid Tue 21-Jul-15 22:38:10

Thanks for all your comments. I can't go next week but will try to make myself go along the week after.

traviata Fri 11-Sep-15 11:02:39

coming late to this thread, I just wanted to mention Alex van Frank who is a teacher on Yogaglo, and who appears to be a plus size herself, and whose ethos is inclusive yoga for all shapes and sizes.

CoteDAzur Sat 12-Sep-15 10:08:53

Alex Van Frank looks/sounds awesome. I couldn't see her yogaglo page (because I'm not registered) but found her website.

bakewelltarte Thu 04-Feb-16 16:19:08

Hi coming late to this thread but Dana Falsetti has an online plan dedicated to plus size yoga:

https://www.codyapp.com/plans/making-shapes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now