Just tried to cancel out home insurance....

(12 Posts)
mysterymeg Wed 04-Sep-13 10:23:47

(Don't worry I have got new cover - have not left us at risk)

Bank: "I'm very sorry Mrs Mystery but you aren't named on the buildings policy so can't cancel it"

Me: "Yes I've seen that. I'm named on last year's documents, somehow my name has fallen off that during the year yet the contents policy still has my name on it"

Bank: "I'm afraid you will have to ask Mr Mystery to ring to speak to us."

To cut a long argument short I have expressed my displeasure that they have managed to remove me off my own policy when they have always only dealt with me. Mr Mystery has never spoken to them. I have negotiated the renewal every year and can guarantee that I never requested my name to be removed. I explained I have swathes of paperwork with my name on. And yet they reiterated that they will now only deal with my husband angry

mysterymeg Wed 04-Sep-13 10:30:03

* cancel our home insurance obviously

NiceTabard Wed 04-Sep-13 13:28:22

That is terrible customer service. Which company is it?

Theas18 Wed 04-Sep-13 13:31:38

Annoying though it is I'm afraid I'd be really happy with the way you were treated TBH. Imagine if you had split up and hadn't just " fallen off" in error......

Just imagine the harm ( and outraged MN postings!) if your estranged other half, who "hasn't even got his/her name on the paperwork anymore" just called up and cancelled leaving the resident un insured

Theas18 Wed 04-Sep-13 13:32:27

On the other had put on a deep voice and try again!

mysterymeg Wed 04-Sep-13 13:41:32

nice think a horsey bank.

theas I totally agree that as my name is not there they now can't deal with me - what concerns me is how they've managed to delete me in the first place - and only off half the policy?!?! I've cancelled the contents cover successfully smile Liking you're idea re deep voice. Dh HATES dealing with people over the phone so he'll get me to do the whole call with him just popping on to give his consent!

mysterymeg Wed 04-Sep-13 13:43:58

It was also the way they implied it was ok that they'd deleted me as my husband wwould be the main policy holder anyway. Apparently it probably happened when I called to change my name on our marriage! As now I'm a lesser person obviously. probably reading too much into it

LurcioLovesFrankie Wed 04-Sep-13 13:50:56

Ah yes, the horsey bank. They are a bunch of dishonest * (insert expletive of your choice here) over insurance, which is why I no longer bank with them. I used to have conversations which went like this:
Horsey Bank: Do you want house contents insurance with us?
Me: No, we've discussed this, you don't cover people with lodgers therefore your product would be no use to me.
HB: OK

Except that the last occasion they did this, they set up the insurance anyway - and then I got burgled. Bloody hell, the faff of trying to sort out the claim when I was inadvertently and erroneously (entirely their error) insured with two different insurers was a nightmare.

So I don't think you're reading too much into this. They are either raving incompetents or actively dishonest (I tend to the latter interpretation myself) and it seems sexist bastards as well.

mysterymeg Wed 04-Sep-13 16:39:21

Thanks Frankie sounds like they have form for crapness then. Can't believe they set up insurance without your permission! shock

samandi Fri 06-Sep-13 22:01:30

Apparently it probably happened when I called to change my name on our marriage!

That is shocking.

Perhaps another reason why women should keep their own names (no reflectin on you changing yours btw)

Golferman Sat 07-Sep-13 09:08:38

I think it is data protection. For example, my wife set up NEXT account and AMEX card in her name while I was away on business. I deal with all the payments etc (she is fine with that). Yet If I call either company to query a payment or balance etc they will only speak to my wife as named account holder. Weirdly though when I call up to arrange the return of NEXT goods I have no problem.

scallopsrgreat Sat 07-Sep-13 09:53:40

No Golferman the point is that for no reason whatsoever the provider changed their insurance to mysterymeg's husbands name despite only dealing with her. And only for half the insurance confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now