Getting married at Disney, wearing a Disney Princess wedding dress

(36 Posts)
madamezouzou Mon 04-Feb-13 10:18:35

A girl I know is doing this soon.

Am I the only one who thinks: This is hilariously tacky?

I also feel uncomfortable about this from a feminist perspective but can't quite articulate why, would appreciate the views of others!

BelaLugosisShed Mon 04-Feb-13 15:26:55

Actually , you are not allowed (as an adult) to be dressed up as as a Disney Princess, or any Disney "character" for that matter) at Disney. wink The only exceptions are on the special party nights.

A wedding does not have to make a feminist statement and if my DD wanted to get married at one of the Disney resorts that's fine by me, we've been going to Disneyworld since she was 5 years old, she's now a Maths graduate and in teacher training, with a strong feminist identity, doesn't mean she can't love Disney, we went last year and she has photos of herself with all the Princesses - it means precisely nothing in feminist terms.

The minnie ears with veil and mickey groom top hat are very much for adults, you see lots of couples honeymooning in the parks wearing them. smile

EuphemiaLennox Mon 04-Feb-13 15:46:46

Most weddings seem to be a playing out of a princess fantasy with dubious feminist credentials to many elements of it.

Doing it at Disney in a princess style dress just seems an extension of this.

FYI:
I love Disneyworld.
And weddings.
I am a feminist.

catus Mon 04-Feb-13 16:01:17

This is indeed obviously tacky.
But I don't like your post, because you want everyone to pile in and make fun of one person you know. Not nice.
I'm guilty of this sometimes, mocking other people and their tackiness (not on the internet, though), and I'm trying to stop it. It's mean.
As for not knowing why it doesn't stand well from a feminist point of view, words fail me. Can you really not see how a big disney princessy wedding would be quite unfeminist? If that is the case, you urgently need an education!

badtemperedaldbitch Mon 04-Feb-13 16:05:07

good on ya catus!
well said

Hobbitation Mon 04-Feb-13 16:29:26

I can't catus, no. I can see why it might irk a certain type of feminist but it doesn't bother me as one, and neither do the Disney princesses in general. But then, apparently I'm NOT a feminist as I changed my name when I got married, as I was so delightfully informed on another thread.

feministefatale Mon 04-Feb-13 17:24:03

The minnie ears with veil and mickey groom top hat are very much for adults, you see lots of couples honeymooning in the parks wearing them

um no childs size and sold with the other kids stuff

feministefatale Mon 04-Feb-13 17:24:29

and only saw kids wearing them

WhichIsBest Mon 04-Feb-13 17:34:04

99% of wedding dresses are meant to be princessy. Being a Disney princess doesn't offend me as a feminist any more than a typical white lacy thing with a tiara.

HoneyDragon Mon 04-Feb-13 17:40:24

You could have the Brave Wedding package.

Go there, decide not to get married and build a better relationship with your mum instead grin

feministefatale Mon 04-Feb-13 17:51:49

honey grin

EuphemiaLennox Mon 04-Feb-13 18:28:36

Those mouse ears with veils and top hats are for adults, and lots of honeymooning couples can be seen wearing them....each to their own and all that.

(if you don't beleive me look on THe Dibb Disney forum lots of photos of people's Disney weddings and honeymoons with said mouse ears).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now