Anti feminist meme.

(65 Posts)
Slipperyslopin Thu 31-Jan-13 22:22:32

www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=24&gs_id=2l&xhr=t&q=equal+rights+equal+rights+meme&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.d2k&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=xd0KUf32PKqx0AWEmoDgCg#imgrc=v_3HCUV7zZnxFM%3A%3BBi7QsD6OD8Tm1M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fstatic4.fjcdn.com%252Fcomments%252F3436879%252B_d3f5b44914934ce4cd8578d59285923a.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.funnyjunk.com%252Ffunny_pictures%252F3437323%252Ffeminist%252Bteacher%252F%3B400%3B392
Saw this and was initially quite annoyed but it got me thinking about it. What is actually expected nowdays for treatment of women? Would we still consider it worse to hit a woman than to hit a man? Are men still expected to hold doors open to women? And if that sort of thing is expected, isn't it hypocrytical to say we want equal rights while expecting special treatment? I don't know, I'm all confused now. Thoughts?

kim - no, you must ring the police first. I know it seems unnatural but you must. You don't know if they have a knife or a gun - they could kill you or disable you and then no-one would come to help. You must call for help first. It is really important.

Sorry, this isn't feministy at all (it's not relevant what gender anyone is) but it is really important.

OneMoreChap Sat 02-Feb-13 21:27:22

Right.

I'll bear that in mind.

Next time I see a woman being kicked on the floor, I'll ring the police, and wait for them to arrive.

As if...

Incidentally, if some twat was giving my wife, mother or daughter a shoeing, I'd hope someone might do something more than... oooh, where's my phone... I wonder if it has any battery left.

Since you ask, I've also smacked a couple of guys on Aytoun Street in Manchester, for no other reason than they were kicking a young Pakistani boy on the floor.

I should have rung the busies then, too.

MechanicalTheatre Sat 02-Feb-13 21:29:33

So now we get to read endless tales of OMC's heroics? Thrills.

Please do. It is hugely important. There is a much higher chance of success if you ring the police.

After you ring, you can do whatever you think is appropriate - but you must ring first. Because then, no matter what happens, you know help is on the way.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive but it really is the best way.

BertieBotts Sat 02-Feb-13 21:32:30

Right, but OMC, you sat on him. You didn't beat him to a pulp. You used the amount of force/violence which was necessary for the situation. That's not really the same as hitting someone because they're winding you up and they "deserve to get hit".

OneMoreChap Sat 02-Feb-13 22:21:04

MechanicalTheatre

eff off.

* BertieBotts Sat 02-Feb-13 21:32:30

Right, but OMC, you sat on him.

After I'd physically pulled him off the woman, he'd tried to smack me and I'd belted him. Hard.

I hit him.

Which is wrong.

Yes, it is wrong.

I'm sorry, but it honestly is.

Don't think I don't feel the same way - I want to hit people too, sometimes. Especially if they're beating someone up.

But please call the police first another time.

I am not being feministy here at all, just absolutely serious it's the right thing to do.

AmandaPayne Sat 02-Feb-13 23:32:55

Hang on. What the hell does "I would step in to help someone I saw being attacked" (gender neutral, whether it is a smart idea or not) have to do with "I don't hit women" (which carries an implicit threat to women)? Isn't this argument just a distraction from the point - which is that claiming to differentiate violent behaviour by gender is really just a veiled reminder of physical power?

However, taking the sidetrack, this idea that you can intervene and 'save' a woman in trouble. Yes, sometimes you can. Other times the man has a knife or a gun, or is just plain stronger or luckier than you, so I'd go with LRD's point that you want to be sure you have help on the way, even if you then do decide to intervene. And hopefully you'd do the same thing whether the person doing the beating up was a woman or a man. And if a woman was being attacked by another woman, would it then be ok to hit a woman, or do you just sit on her?

Slipperyslopin Sat 02-Feb-13 23:53:12

What if it was a group of girls beating up a young man? Would you use the same amount of force to stop them as you would on a group of guys in that situation?

rosabud Sun 03-Feb-13 00:41:23

I'm not going to get involved with the silliness of the debate with OneMoreChap, but I do find it interesting to note that when men start pointing out what jolly decent chaps they are, not hitting women, happy to pummel other not so decent chaps etc, how their language significantly changes. They start using rather ladish yet salt of the earth type slang such as "bobbies" for police and "shoeing" for hitting.

Interesting.

OneMoreChap Sun 03-Feb-13 12:47:18

I suppose it may be a generational thing.

Laddish?
Well, educated in a boarding school, worked overseas, volunteered for the armed services, still work as a volunteer for the emergency services, which means putting yourself iin harm's way.

I suppose it's all rather silly and Boy's Own to talk about things like duty or service, in rather the same way that giving blood or being an organ donor is a bit pi-jaw.

So yes, next time I will call the police...
... and walk on by.

I add saying I don't hit women is hard to parse as a threat to women, but san fairy ann.

FastidiaBlueberry Sun 03-Feb-13 13:39:18

No-one's told you to walk on by OMC but you're making a choice to read it like that.

Where did someone say "walk on by"?

People have said you should phone the police first and then any intervention you take is up to you.

But you have chosen to read that as "walk on by".

<Sigh>
biscuit

AmandaPayne Sun 03-Feb-13 16:03:11

I am sorry OMC, but if you had been willing and able to actually think through the explanations women have given up thread of why they find that threatening, it wouldn't be hard at all. What you seem to be saying is that you do not intend it as a threat, ergo it is not. That is simply not true.

FastidiaBlueberry Sun 03-Feb-13 16:05:23

listen to mere women AP?

Come come.

grin

Lessthanaballpark Sun 03-Feb-13 20:20:40

I'd like to know why men won't let a woman hold the door open for them. I've tried it loads of times, but each time they wouldn't let me. It became quite embarrassing, just two people staring at each other waiting for the other to go through.

So I gave up and now I just don't bother opening doors for men unless they're holding something. It's a shame. Cos holding doors for people feels nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now