Pink Uniforms for men.

(54 Posts)
TiggyD Wed 21-Nov-12 10:15:31

There are very few men working in nurseries. About 2% of the early years workforce are male. The reasons men give for not going into the sector are the low status of the job, low pay, and the fact that it's seen as women's work.
My question is this. Is it right for nurseries to choose pink as the colour of their staff's uniform?
It's not really combating the image of being women's work, but then again pink is just a colour and it shouldn't be seen as "women's", but it is and it will put men off, but it shouldn't...
This isn't a stealth campaign or a stealth moan. I really can't decide what I should think. At the moment I'm coming down on the side of pink not being helpful in not putting men off and nurseries would be better off avoiding it, but what do you think?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 25-Nov-12 08:49:19

I dunno Himalaya, my nursery has pink polo shirts and, as it's an independent, it's probably just that it's the owner's favourite colour or something - don't think it's been thought through in the way you suggest.

I agree with nick - "pink is for girls, blue is for boys" is probably most prevalent in the 0-5 age group that nurseries cover - on that basis rather than the basis Tiggy outlines, it might be better for nurseries to avoid both.

SherbetDibDab Sun 25-Nov-12 08:57:28

At our nursery staff can choose shirt colours, pink or green, and a couple of the guys wear pink.

PurpleTinsel Wed 28-Nov-12 22:10:59

The staff wear purple uniforms at DS's nursery, and yet have no male staff.

Seriously, I'd be very surprised if the colour of the uniforms is the major thing putting men off jobs in nurseries.

I'm not an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't someone interested in a career working in a nursery generally have committed themselves to working in the sector by signing up for college courses in childcare, before checking out what the uniforms at local nurseries look like?

It being seen as 'womans work' is probably far more of a factor.

DudeIAmSoFuckingRock Wed 28-Nov-12 22:17:48

i know plenty of men happy to wear pink shirts/jumpers/underwear when it's being sold in topman or river island. to use it as an excuse not to enter a particular job is ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now