Do you think it would be better if there wern't a feminism subject on mumsnet?

(96 Posts)
HalloweenNameChange Sun 18-Nov-12 19:49:41

Just that while it is sometimes nice to preach to the choir (and comfy)..but the people who could really do with a bit of learning actually block the feminist section as a whole.

I have been annoyed when subjects get moved from chat to feminism for that reason.

TheNebulousBoojum Thu 22-Nov-12 20:55:01

grin[ I used to mind asking basic questions and being told that the FWR boards were not there to educate people. I like areas of obscurity and confusion for me being untangled by them wot get it.
Then I could choose to agree or disagree with the interpretation, but at least I had a starting point.

scottishmummy Thu 22-Nov-12 19:41:34

that was the rub,the preachy patronising tone of strident posters educating the unlearned
it all got v dictatorial and deviance from ascribed stance was mra,antifeminist

GrimmaTheNome Thu 22-Nov-12 19:37:20

I did occasionally feel that there were one or two people who believed that people who diverged from their particular creed needed re-educating.

scottishmummy Thu 22-Nov-12 19:34:08

the patrionising bit is those who feel its their role to impart to the unlearned
share your opinion,have lively riposte,but dont kid yourself on you're necessarily helping with learning
thats is what was problematic wiith FWR before. the strident belief people had about their role and apparent need for learning in others.it sets up a default of entitlement,those who feel they must impart certain opinion and assume others need learning.mn isnt a tutorial based degree,its online opinion.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 22-Nov-12 10:23:48

'By parents, for parents' ...but still overwhelmingly 'mums'...which is one of the reasons feminism is so relevant.

Xenia - not just men and women, boys and girls too, of course. Particularly obvious near xmas the inequalities of how boys and girls are considered.

ByTheWay1 Thu 22-Nov-12 09:53:54

and here we are on "mumsnet".....

Xenia Thu 22-Nov-12 09:38:07

I think most humans on the planet know that feminism just means treating men and women equally under the law, at work and at home. It is a dead easy concept. you don't need a PhD in it. It's about if he plays golf for 4 hours on Sundays she gets to go running or do her hobby on Saturday for 4 hours. If she does 3 hours washing he does 3 hours cooking etc etc Equal pay for work of equal value too.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 22-Nov-12 09:24:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rosabud Thu 22-Nov-12 09:19:03

It's only patronising to say people could do with learning about something if it's a subject they already know a lot about or a subject that has no relevance to them.

If it's a subject that they don't have much knowledge of and is relevant to them then it's not patronising to say they could do with learning it. It's true.

scottishmummy Thu 22-Nov-12 08:03:14

feminism section had a fractious period dominated by strident posters
that has largely resolved
and its really patronising to say people could do with learning.are you Guru to impart to the unlearned

HalloweenNameChange Tue 20-Nov-12 19:20:47

Do not worry grimma for I am the Queen of posting and then thinking.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 20-Nov-12 19:09:21

I realised that was sadly a bad example after I'd hit post sad

HalloweenNameChange Tue 20-Nov-12 18:47:36

Off topic I guess, but I recently read that there are more people in slavery today then in all of human history.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 20-Nov-12 18:16:36

And maybe in the distant future there will be none at all because everyone will have got there! Like, I dunno, we don't need an anti-slavery topic.

Xenia Tue 20-Nov-12 18:09:48

It is a very good thing.
When we have as many threads under feminism as weight loss we may be starting to get somewhere.

BelleDameSousMistletoe Tue 20-Nov-12 17:19:24

I stand by my comment which referred to those who seemingly do not understand/or do not wish to understand how normalising an activity which is almost solely related to the sex industry in the UK is damaging to other women and girls.

AnyFucker Tue 20-Nov-12 13:54:53

Keepin' it light. Like a true cupcake should be. smile

HalloweenNameChange Tue 20-Nov-12 13:47:58

finish reading the pole thread, it goes off in to some tangent about the passe(ness) that's not a word of cupcakes.

AnyFucker Tue 20-Nov-12 13:47:01

I was going to give you some guff about cupcakes being a euphemism for breasts but I would be lying, so I won't.

WilsonFrickett Tue 20-Nov-12 13:28:42

It was the dense comment that annoyed tbf. AF I will let you off if you tell me if a cupcake is really just a cupcake, or some sort of FWR code cos I'm feeling paranoid now

AnyFucker Tue 20-Nov-12 12:13:09

*crossover

AnyFucker Tue 20-Nov-12 12:12:58

wilson, FWIW, I wasn't referring to your contributions, nor to betty's smile

some crossocer going on here, I have forgotten what we are talking about

was it cupcakes ? Serves me right for mentioning another thread.

How can they be so dense?!

I may be many things but I am certainly not dense thanks!

WilsonFrickett Tue 20-Nov-12 10:51:10

Belle if you think they are being dense, please feel free to pop over and tell me them on the actual thread.

AF I'll hide your coffee if you don't play nice grin

AnyFucker Mon 19-Nov-12 23:11:22

me too, summer, and I am also drawn to the stately Homes thread but am too afraid to post too smile

belle, get ya knitting, we are orf to Gransnet grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now