Why can't programs with female lead characters be aimed at men/boys too?

(66 Posts)
apartridgeinapeartree Fri 09-Nov-12 14:30:23

This one annoyed me today!

DS's new favourite thing is a DVD which DP got him: "Mona the Vampire".

It's a cartoon - Mona and her friends (one girl, one boy) fight ghouls, goblins, aliens etc. To an adult viewer, it's clear it's all in their imagination, it's nicely done IMO. It's good fun and DS loves it.

It's an American cartoon, but the British marketing which comes with it has an incentive to buy more Mona DVDs - makeup.

It didn't even occur to me that it was aimed specifically at girls! DS is too young to pick up on this, but a "makeup" offer might make older boys decide it's not for them. And even if it doen't, it's clear the company marketing it see it as a girls thing.

I'm fed up with male leads being the default but female leads being a special girls/women's thing - even in children's programs! CBeebies is sadly guilty of this too sometimes isn't it? (Thinking of Tree Fu Tom for example - all the main characters are male, except one token female).

I can think of very few programs / films where the lead is female but it's aimed at a mixed audience. Can you think of any?

The wonderful Fargo springs to mind, can you think of any more to cheer me up? This is depressing!

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Sat 10-Nov-12 12:49:16

Pan's Labyrinth

WrathdePan Sat 10-Nov-12 13:02:34

Saskia . Modesty forbade me. Thank you.

hermioneweasley Sat 10-Nov-12 13:06:10

Tangled.

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Mon 12-Nov-12 18:29:15

WrathdePan smile You're awfully good in that, you should make more films!

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 12-Nov-12 18:43:49

Tru Calling
Dark Angel
Charmed
Wonderfalls
Joan of Arcadia
Monsters vs aliens

crazygracieuk Mon 12-Nov-12 18:48:03

Alien series is the only one I can think of although I would say that I know more make than female fans.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 12-Nov-12 19:07:23

Monsters vs Aliens is a female lead but I think it might be a Bechdel test fail (I know that wasn't the question), which is a shame.

WrathdePan Mon 12-Nov-12 19:19:59

Saskia - less is more.grin

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 12-Nov-12 19:28:00

Susan did have a conversation with the groom's mother (she was named but I forget) about the genetic deformity of having one short thumb. (the groom was mentioned but was not the subject of the the conversation, so I'm not sure that it counts.)

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 12-Nov-12 19:33:57

sorry scrub that, its starts off being a conversation about being a weatherman's wife.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 12-Nov-12 19:34:21

Ah, my faith in M&A is restored, thanks BBJ.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 12-Nov-12 19:34:45

Bah, dashed again!

CaseyShraeger Mon 12-Nov-12 19:55:20

I think she has a conversation with her mother about something later on, maybe? Would need to rewatch to check.

PurpleGentian Mon 12-Nov-12 20:13:33

Bechdel test?

Anyway.

Star Trek: Voyager
Alien
Ring
Revenge

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 12-Nov-12 21:30:05

Bechdel test:

Two (named) female characters
Who talk to each other
About something other than a man

So Monsters and Aliens would pass if Susan and the groom's mother talk about weird thumbs but fail if they only talk about the groom.

Sex and the City passes.
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs fails, despite having a strong female character.

CombustionEngine Fri 16-Nov-12 12:06:21

Fringe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now