Why is feminism so closely intertwined with lesbianism?

(27 Posts)
werewolvesdidit Tue 06-Nov-12 22:26:34

I have started going to a feminist group and pretty soon I realised that about 90% of the group are lesbians/bi. We seem to discuss gender issues etc a lot from a lesbian point of view and it only occurred to me the other day that it doesn't really make sense to me. Surely one's sexuality is irrelevant in the sense that the important thing is that all women experience sexism under the patriarchy and that one's individual sexual preferences are actually irrelevant. I am genuinely interested to know if I am missing the point of something here. All replies gratefully received!

KRITIQ Fri 09-Nov-12 10:56:27

This "fight to the top" business - I can't see evidence that it is a "natural" phenomenon but rather a product of social conditioning. Competition and survival of the (economic) fittest is surely a function of capitalism - something that's not manifest in the same way in societies less driven by capitalist values (e.g. Scandanavian countries) and linked also to patriarchal/kyriarchal hegemony. In other words, if you pit the underlings against each other, set up sham competitions between them for being the wealthiest, the most moral, having strongest faith, being most powerful, etc., then they'll at each others' throats too much to be much threat to our own position of power.

namechangeguy Fri 09-Nov-12 12:04:51

Exactly. It's why you can see our UK government and the media stirring it up against the 'appalling underclass' who cheat the benefit system (how many exactly, and how much? - it is never specified). Meanwhile the Philip Greens of this world and corporations like Google and Starbucks legally avoid hundreds of millions of pounds of tax that they owe the government.

Keep the focus off the rich and powerful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now