Evening invites only to family who live 3 hours drive away. Will they be offended?

(36 Posts)
MadameFlutterby Sat 09-Feb-13 22:23:23

DP's cousins live 3 hours drive away in London and he doesn not have a close relationship with them at all, hence the reason they are not invited to the afternoon reception as we are keeping it to 50 close family and friends who we see a lot. Is it acceptable to only invite people to the evening do when they live so far away?? Interested to see what others have done in a similar situation. Thanks

TheSecondComing Sat 09-Feb-13 23:53:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadameFlutterby Sat 09-Feb-13 23:58:31

That's pretty rude MiniEggs!! I would be furious too, but not much you can really do I suppose..eeek!

olgaga Sat 09-Feb-13 23:58:33

FGS just don't invite them! What's the point? If you're not close, you're not close enough to invite them.

TheSecondComing Sun 10-Feb-13 00:02:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadameFlutterby Sun 10-Feb-13 00:04:07

They don't call you the Second Coming for nothing teehee wink

Vijac Sun 10-Feb-13 00:04:50

I wouldn't be offended and I may like to go to help you celebrate and catch up with other family members you don't see often. I don't know why people are so hoity toity about it, there's no obligation to go and it's lovely to get any invite.

MadameFlutterby Sun 10-Feb-13 00:09:04

Olgaga, like I said we feel like we are getting close to one of the cousin's and building a few bridges, hence my inability to make a decision..

olgaga Sun 10-Feb-13 00:17:23

Well in that case send them a note with your invite saying you appreciate it's a long way to come - it would be great to see them but if they can't make it you hope to catch up soon.

The distance they travel will be the same whether they're there all day or just in the evening - they'd still have to stay overnight.

I don't understand why on earth anyone who wasn't really close would be offended by not being at the actual nuptials. That's for close family and friends, most people would understand that.

defuse Sun 10-Feb-13 00:26:46

I would invite the cousin who helped with the job to the full do and the other cousins for evening only. You are not so close to the other 2 cousins, so shouldnt feel like you must treat all 3 cousins the same.

On a lighter note, myself being Asian, if we dont invite every family member from around the country and all the friends and the entire asian community within a 5 mile radius to a wedding, it would be considered rude! As a result i have attended weddings with 500 guests. Oh what fun the were! grin

Sorry...not helpful....i know.

TiredyCustards Mon 18-Feb-13 10:19:38

I wouldn't be offended at all.

We are having immediate family only for the ceremony, then a big party for everyone. For me, the ceremony is solemn and private, not the beginning of a party.

Bonsoir Mon 18-Feb-13 10:25:40

It sounds really odd to me. Who are you inviting to the wedding ceremony?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now