best place to buy pretty atmospheric outdoor decorations?

(14 Posts)
Curtsey Sun 06-Jan-13 10:07:41

We're splitting up our wedding and having a summer party a couple of months after we get married this spring. The party will be at my parents' house. Any ideas for cheap but pretty decorations -lighting, mainly? Thanks!

TobyLerone Sun 06-Jan-13 13:34:21

We've bought some paper lanterns to hang in the huge tree outside our venue. Can't link as on phone but they're the brightly coloured Chinese paper ones you put a tea light in.

Also some paper bags you fill with sand and put candles in. And white fairy lights.

FlyOverTheMistletoe Sun 06-Jan-13 13:50:42

We had solar lights on a tree in the garden over xmas, they looked good. You might get some in the sales.

Scheherezade Sun 06-Jan-13 15:27:15

I thought this, but with it being summer and still light, is it worth having lighting? It won't get dark till 10pm...

Curtsey Sun 06-Jan-13 15:39:46

That's a good point Scheherezade, but we're going to have an afternoon-heading-into-evening party we're Irish and people will drink into the wee hours so it'd be nice to have some lights as it gets dark - plus it'll be August so the evenings won't be as long as say, midsummer.

Solar lights a good idea. Yes. MIL has some. Must check B&Q etc for sales.

Toby, are the paper lanterns quite large then?

I saw somewhere on another thread people mentioning fairy lights covered with coloured organza. Love the sound of this. I love millions of candles but would rather not be worrying about the fire aspect.

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 06-Jan-13 15:42:43

Have you looked at lights4fun? They have lots of different types of outdoor decorative lights.

OrangeLily Sun 06-Jan-13 15:46:00

If you've got time making paper Pom poms to hang across the garden or off of ceilings in the house can be really pretty. Take a bit of time to make but really simple. I think the big ones are much easier than small ones!

Have a look on Martha Stewart's website. Can give you loads of ideas!

TobyLerone Sun 06-Jan-13 16:10:14

Nope, the paper lanterns are quite small. They come flat and then you pull the top up and they're kind of concertina-ed paper, IYSWIM. Maybe 10 cm diameter by 20cm high. We've just bought loads of them!

Oh, and we're also using our tealight chandelier from our bell tent.

byanymeans Mon 07-Jan-13 23:06:41

im sorry im on my moblie so i cant do proper links but this is some of our decoration plans for our picnic party for our wedding in august:
http://pinterest.com/pin/572309065116797333/
http://pinterest.com/pin/572309065116797383/
http://pinterest.com/pin/204773114278596291/ you can get glow in the dark paint to do the same this affect :-)
Hope these links help.

byanymeans Mon 07-Jan-13 23:22:51

I just noticed you said 'buy' and i put the diy links ops try the bargin stores like pound land and home and bargin. They often do safe tea lights and if you charge up solar light the day before then masking tape over then solar pannel and turn them off, you can just use them as battery lights for one night by putting switch on again because they will think is dark, we do this some times in the summer so our son can see his solar lights on before bed.

Curtsey Tue 08-Jan-13 14:05:09

Thanks a million byanymeans, I love the glow jars! Do you just flick the paint over them? On a mission to get glow in the dark paint now smile

Angel - wow, briliant site, off to browse. Thank you!

byanymeans Tue 08-Jan-13 15:45:05

You could paint it on the inside in a pattern, dots or any thing you like. Or use a tooth brush to flick it inside like a fairy jar or just put the paint strauight in the jar and shake it all around. If you cant find the paint ebay have it. :-)

Curtsey Tue 08-Jan-13 17:46:44

Excellent. Thanks!

Rootvegetables Sat 02-Feb-13 13:38:30

Have you looked at light in the box they have loads if wedding decoration stuff, on sale at the moment, not sure if it's one of those websites with a constant sale though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now