Is it ever acceptable to ask for money as wedding gifts?

(104 Posts)
RockinD Fri 11-May-12 18:56:09

DD proposes to do this and has a twee little poem to send out with the invitations to soften the blow.

I am appalled and we have already had one row about it. Her view is that as she and her DF live together they have everything they need and as they want a honeymoon and can't afford it themselves, it's OK to ask their guests to pay for it.

This makes me deeply uncomfortable. Am I just old fashioned?

D

expatinscotland Fri 08-Feb-13 15:37:23

Hopefully the next trend will be to take the gloves off and just be honest: charge admission to your wedding and be done with it.

You're a barrel of laughs aren't you? Whenever I've gone to a wedding I've always wanted to give a gift. If people don't want to that's fine, we just want everyone to come along and have a good time. I'd feel like a cunt turning up to any kind of party empty handed and I don't see a wedding as any different.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Feb-13 17:18:00

I've never turned up for a wedding empty-handed, but being told what to give as a gift is rude, crass, grabby and, well, like school in the Summertime: no class.

garageflower Fri 01-Mar-13 23:25:19

I don't get why it's rude? It smacks of common sense and i have never been offended by this.

Surely it's ok to be open with the people you care about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now