Spring Watch

(57 Posts)

I'm hoping that soon the snow watch threads will be a dim and distant memory.
There is hope on the horizon! GFS is showing some early indications of a warm up for the Easter Weekend. now admittedly earlier this morning it was more optimistic and had some lovely warm temps showing for the 26th, but nevertheless there is a trend beginning to show.

So, what will the next few model runs bring? will hope spring eternal? Or will we be forever be stuck in this winter of discontent?

WowOoo Wed 13-Mar-13 13:12:13

Thanks OYBBK!

Did anyone watch Orbit on BBC recently? I was paying close attention to the Spring and March bits and when it's meant to arrive.

It may still be on iPlayer. Interesting prog.

WowOoo Wed 13-Mar-13 13:12:59

'it's' being Spring. Am too tired to make sense, sorry.

LillethTheCat Wed 13-Mar-13 13:45:16

Marking place on this exciting thread. Looking forward to being able to do my garden, go for long country walks, hanging my washing out and generally having no snow.

<realises that I live in Brittain so will probably rain all summer anyway>

GloriaSmud Wed 13-Mar-13 14:54:33

Hard to believe anything Spring~like is coming when I'm sitting here watching yet another snow flurry come down. It's 6.3C out there and it's still snowing ~ how does it manage that!

That would be lovely, a nice warm Easter.

SirEdmundFrillary Wed 13-Mar-13 14:59:58

It begins.

Does anyone else get a bit jittery around spring or is it just me? I like it but also don't.

AnyFucker Wed 13-Mar-13 15:07:46

I get jittery because I hope against hope for a nice spring/summer. But then don't want to get hopes high after one nice day because they will be dashed.

Crap summers since 2006....it's getting beyond a joke now.

LillethTheCat Wed 13-Mar-13 15:16:37

AF - Im going through the 7 year cycle theory and that means either this year or next we will have lovely summers.

Also going by that we have another 3 or 4 years of long snowy winters I think?

AnyFucker Wed 13-Mar-13 15:18:46

I hope so, Lilleth

It feels like I won't see another nice summer in my lifetime < whiny ole gimmer >

SirEdmundFrillary Wed 13-Mar-13 16:58:02

I hope against hope too, AnyFucker

me likeysmile come on spring

New date being thrown up by GFS this morning for the start of spring - 25th March smile

digerd Thu 14-Mar-13 08:25:31

S.Herts
That's good news. However, we had -2 last night and for the first time had frost. < oh dear my Camelias>
Beautiful sunny morning and no wind atm.

LillethTheCat Thu 14-Mar-13 09:50:45

Yey that's just over a week to go then.

Pascha Thu 14-Mar-13 10:27:45

Oh good. I'm fed up with being stuck indoors because of the snow and rain with a whiny toddler who doesn't like it.

Bring on the Spring smile

Sorry all, I hate to break it to you but I have bought the kids loads of "outside toys" for this summer - therefore guaranteeing our first ever snowy summer! [grin

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Thu 14-Mar-13 22:32:43

Now when you say "warm" does this mean something akin to the "BBQ summer" we ended up with in 2009 when the Met Office insisted they had been right all along because of the 0.2 degrees above the average temperatures along with the force 6 SW winds and constant mizzle?

Or are we talking a nice fat anticyclone over the Azores?

grin

digerd Fri 15-Mar-13 07:08:41

S.Herts
+3 in the night and seems to have rained/snowed as ground is wet. At least that nasty wind has gone.

I do remember a nice summer since 2006, when I didn't need to water the garden, but had days of not too hot sunny weather, and was for me very pleasant. Can't do 30+ and humid anymore, and 2006 I do remember as awful as couldn't go out to water the garden until 9pm and was attacked by biting beasties . Days and too hot nights of itching like mad is not my idea of a lovely summer . And we had a hose-pipe ban and drought.

Ariel, we are talking over 10C grin
Which now seems to come to a sputtering start towards the end of next week. However it looks jolly wet for the forseeable future and perhaps snow for the early part of next week for northern england and Scotland

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 15-Mar-13 10:45:01

Over 10C??? Mercy me <faints>

digerd Fri 15-Mar-13 15:13:44

S.Herts.
Starting drizzling at 2.30pm, but temp. +9.

grin ariel, you have to start with little goals!

digerd Fri 15-Mar-13 18:38:30

S.Herts

Been raining hard since late afternoon, which is perfect for the plants. +7 atm

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 15-Mar-13 19:55:23

Today I've been working outside all day in the worst weather since the dawn of time - icy, heavy rain and a cold blustery wind. Definitely looking forward to spring now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now