Weaning and milk @ 8/9m

(16 Posts)
Kafri Sat 17-Aug-13 09:14:31

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but here goes,

DS is 8m.
He was very slow to get going with food and even now will only eat the 4m+ consistency. If I try the 7m+ texture, he gags and refuses it and if I give him finger foods (heinz biscotti, breadsticks etc) he will also gag. He can manage cucumber, strawberries etc but just sucks at them and squishes them

He is on Aptamil Pepti 2 (cows milk protein free milk) and is being weaned DF (though I have started giving him small amounts of dairy every ow and again)

Hs day did look like...

6.30/7.00 - 8oz
9.00 - breakfast (ate very little of it - 4-6 spoons at most)
10.30 - 8oz
12.00 - lunch (half a 4m+ jar)
3.00 - 8oz
5.00 - tea (other half of jar)
7.00 - 8oz

The last few days, he has been leaving some of his milk, especially his 10.30 and 3.00 milk.
Does this sound like I could maybe drop one of those feeds and change his other meal times around 3 bottles instead of 4?

What does your day look like with regards to feeding?

Thanks,

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 17-Aug-13 12:05:06

At this age its a minimum of 20floz a day, so really its upto you but you should take your lead from him.

Breakfast and the mid morning bottle do seem a little close though, could you move breakfast to around 8 am?

Both of my friends who have babies the same age have been told by their HV to drop the mid morning bottle and they said it's worked well

Kafri Sat 17-Aug-13 12:16:43

Jilted the earlier I give him breakfast, the less he eats of it to be honest - another reason I was thinking of dropping a bottle, i'd have more time between food and bottles for him to get that bit more hungrier. If he's having 3 x 8oz, he's still getting over his 600mls which the tub says he should have??

Any advice for getting him to accept more textured foods and then move onto finger foods with him. He is interested in them and will put them in his mouth, but then gag and throw up with them.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 17-Aug-13 12:33:22

Has he ever been checked for tongue tie kafri? I know that some babies with tongue tie can have problems with solids, but he may just have a really sensitive gag reflex. My DS was the same (and was tt). We got him to eat lumpy food by giving him chocolate on the advice of our HV shockblushgrin

I wouldn't be too worried about him not eating much breakfast tbh. Bid move breakfast to 8am so that it gives more of a gap before he next gets something. If you want to drop a bottle try the morning one. You could always offer a couple of ounces in a sippy cup and a snack of some sort.

Sorry I haven't got more advice on the finger food but I'd just keep offering him some, even if its just bits from your plate smile

I agree. Give breakfast an hour after morning bottle and just keep offering finger foods he will get there - how many fifteen year olds do you know who will only eat purée? grin

Kafri Sat 17-Aug-13 14:17:44

thats what i keep telling myself, lol

I guess it just scares me when i see him gagging to get whatever he's got in his mouth out.

i know that if he's gagging he's doing the right thing - as in getting it out but it's just not nice to watch.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 17-Aug-13 17:57:12

I'm firmly in the let them gag camp but if it concerns you have a read of the gag thing versus the choking thing and maybe sign yourself upto a Paed first aid course. Your local children's centre, British Red Cross or St. John's ambulance might run one. At least that way you will know what to do if he does choke, after all he could choke on purees smile

Kafri Sat 17-Aug-13 19:22:47

I've done Paed first aid - it's just me being soft! lol

cleoowen Sat 17-Aug-13 19:33:40

That's a lot of milk. I dropped the morning feed as ds really didn't want it. Maybe he would eat more breakfast if he wasn't having that morning feed. If you were worried about him not getting enough milk you could give him formula in porriage or weetabix. My ds is the same age and has three bottles of 7oz,7oz and 8Oz.

CarlyRose80 Sat 17-Aug-13 22:12:08

Hi. I've not read all posts but my LO one is exactly the same. 8.5 months and just weaned into solids. He eats hipp organic pouches 4plus months. He's also on prescription milk for milk protien intolerance. He's just started weaning and suddenly prefers solids to milk. We have no set routine but day is roughly like this. 7am 5oz. 8am porridge. 12pm ful pouch food. 1.30 4/5oz milk. He will leave some. So I offer fruit as pudding. 4.30 5oz bottle. 6pm baby rice work fruit. 7pm 5oz bottle. Top up at some with milk when he wakes before I go to bed. Just about getting 20oz in him but since starting solids he has very little interest in milk now and prefers real food. Nursery give him pink wafer and malted milk biscuits which he eats there but anything I give him with even the slightest lump in he gags and throws up. xx

Kafri Mon 19-Aug-13 21:13:20

Today we did
6.30 milk
10.30 brekkie
12.30 lunch
3.00 milk
5.00 tea
7.00 milk

So one less bottle. He seemed to eat more - actually ate some breakfast for starters! Lets see of he sleeps the night. We had a bad night last night anyway so I have my fingers crossed for a better night.

CarlyRose80 Sun 25-Aug-13 11:42:18

How's it all going? My LO seems to be better on his food. Still likes his milk tho and foods have mainly been fruit pots, pouches for lunch and petite filous yogurts as that's what he seems to enjoy with out making himself sick. His sleep isn't to bad altho he still seems hungry at night time so waking for milk but am hoping things will keep improving. Going on holiday to Spain for 2 weeks next week so not really sure what's going to happen from there. X

Kafri Sun 25-Aug-13 21:59:49

Hey,
We had a good couple of days. We dropped his mid morning milk and he upped his food and all was going swimmingly
But then we hit a wall - a couple of days back he screamed for milk - earlier than his usual feed would have been and he's done the same every day since and also reduced drastically how much he's eating again.
Hes got a cold at the minute though so I guess that could be adding to the problems. He's had a sniffle for about three weeks now and it didn't seem to want to go anywhere. He was fine with it so I just though it was teething but then a few day ago his nose started streaming and he's got a cough now to go with it

Don't really know what to try now - just going to have to ride it out

lurcherlieber Mon 09-Sep-13 23:33:34

dont worry about the last few days it all goes out the window when theyre not well. i used to panic myself silly about all the good work undone but it wasnt at all. yet id worry again the next time and still do!

its great that he is taking milk with a cold as babies often dont because of their blocked nose stopping them breathing! and if he has a temperature then fluids are best anyway

youll get back to it once he is better. i also had to drop the mid morning feed to get the weaning going. it helped loads and i just tried a 7+ every few days and we got there in the end. dd's gagging has calmed down loads recently.

lurcherlieber Mon 09-Sep-13 23:34:49

oops this thread is a bit old now. perhaps ill get off my phone and go to sleep grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now