At what age did you stop sterilising bottles?

(9 Posts)
orderinformation Wed 12-Jun-13 20:29:52

Separate to stop but interested to know what most people do. Thanks

BoysRule Wed 12-Jun-13 20:31:33

At 6 months they went in the dishwasher (the bottles - not my DSs). They were sitting up and putting everything in their mouths anyway so thought why not. It was a relief!

Thurlow Wed 12-Jun-13 20:34:09

About 10mo, but we did make some up in advance so I wanted to keep doing it as the milk isn't sterile. But if you're making up just before drinking then yes, everything goes in their mouth after about 6m so lots of people stop then.

Methe Wed 12-Jun-13 20:36:48

6 months and both of mine were prems - ds was 3 mo corrected. Kids need bacteria to build an immune system. My sil was still sterilising at 12 months, her kids are always ill!

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 12-Jun-13 20:36:49

4 months...same reason as BoysRule!

I have a cousin who still sterilises her 3 & half yr old's cups, cutlery & 'nighttime bottle'.

6 months at home. But still use Milton abroad for everything ds uses (22 months).

orderinformation Wed 12-Jun-13 21:21:17

Thanks. Ds is 5 and a half months but has just started weaning so perhaps we'll just dishwash from now on.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Jun-13 23:00:17

Gary you are going to have to keep us uotodate on your cousin. I've got visions of her going into school and washing all of the chikdrens hands, tables and cutlery before lunch grin

CornishYarg Wed 12-Jun-13 23:15:40

I sterilised as long as he had formula in a bottle, so stopped when he was 1 when he went on to cows milk. The bacteria that can be in formula is pretty nasty e.g. salmonella. Unless they're regularly crawling through raw chicken or similar, the sort of household germs they'll encounter when crawling aren't really comparable imo so I figured better safe than sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now