Dairy free advice needed please

(11 Posts)

If she's ok with soya, I've just looked at my carton of alpro junior plus and it states it is nutritionally tailored as a main drink from1+ years inwards and can be introduced as part of a balanced diet from 6 months of age.

So u can use it for cereal and cooking

Sparklesandglitter Sat 02-Mar-13 11:33:02

Hi thanks for all the advice, we are waiting on our referal to the dietician. I wanted to find a cereal as she likes that with normal formula but she eats toast and fruit plus I just tried alpro yogurt with fruit purée which she loved so maybe I will move away from cereal. My HV said I can make rice pudding with nutramigen but the recipe in the nutramigen website said its 8 month plus, is that due to texture? She is being BLW and purée too thanks

InvaderZim Sat 02-Mar-13 09:18:27

How old? Alpro makes a 12 months+ soya milk. I never bothered with cereal with DD when she had a cow's milk intolerance - plenty of other foods to eat! Is this a newly weaning baby? DD never liked any rice cereal - we opted for baby led weaning and there were plenty of things which she could eat.

Pancakeflipper Sat 02-Mar-13 09:14:54

Chat with your dietician. If you have not got one then ask your GP to refer you to one.

We use oat milk for cereal and baking/cooking and also coconut milk. But my DS2 was nearly 2 when he was diagnosed as being dairy intolerant. We used Neocate for a year but some children hate the stuff ( its not lovely tasting).

It's a minefield picking a non-dairy milk substitute so speak to a dietician and make a decision suitable for your child.

It does get easier.

We were prescribed a formula called Neocate to use with cereal etc when we weaned DS2. Moved on to oat milk at approx 18m.

Kara coconut milk is great makes good porridge. Rice milk is a no no under four. Dd1 loves the Kara . I have been making porridge for dd 2 with oatly since she was about 8 months old dietician had no problem with this its just as a main drink that they aren't suitable. Just like from six months u can use cows milk in cooking but not as a main drink.

I'd highly recommend the Kara if you are staying away from soya.

I would speak to your dietician. DS is CMP intolerant and I was advised to avoid oat milk, rice milk etc until he was 4. He's fine with soya.

nonpractisingVirgin Sat 02-Mar-13 07:52:22

Why don't you just stay away from cereal and just give her fruit, toast, egg etc for breakfast?

MistyB Sat 02-Mar-13 07:51:39

You can make oatmeal with just water but oat milk would also work.

shufflebum Sat 02-Mar-13 07:48:27

Is she CMPI?
I would stay away from soya and rice milks, try oat or coconut instead.
Otherwise what about fruit purée watered down a bit?

Sparklesandglitter Sat 02-Mar-13 07:45:23

I am currently weaning DD but she is dairy free and doesn't like cereal made with her prescription formula (the cereals you make with water contain milk) can i use alpro soy milk or something similar to make her cereal with? I know se can't drink it yet and soy isn't really recommended below 12 months but would tiny amounts in cereal be ok? Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now