So just how many Ella's Kitchen pouches make up 1 meal for a 6 month old?

(20 Posts)

Ds seems to need 3 at a time as well as finger foods.

tethersend Thu 10-Jan-13 23:05:32

Shite- no wonder DD2 is starving. DD1 wouldn't even get through one at 8 months- have been giving DD2 two and finger foods.

We are bankrupt as it is grin

lightrain Thu 10-Jan-13 23:06:43

No tethers, I was just about to say that 1 pouch was more than enough for my Dc at that age. 3 pouches sounds quite excessive to me, sorry.

MaMattoo Thu 10-Jan-13 23:11:13

It depends on size of baby. I had a big baby and he had a big appetite, I weaned to semi solids at 5 months. He would eat 2 cereal bowls full of baby rice at a go. Never did pouches (they taste awful and are quite expensive - sorry).
Hv said babies don't always know when to stop, but if they are digesting it, not throwing up then it's what they need. Go by your instinct...

5madthings Thu 10-Jan-13 23:16:08

What size ellas pouch they do little ones and big ones!

my dd at 9/10mths would have two but if they had been around when ds1 (13) was a baby he would have been like your ds. Before a year old he would eat three weetabix or i would express milk (10oz) and use it to make semolina/portidge snd he would eat the whole lot, that was at age 8 mths. He was a dustbin! Still likes his food nos but not a baby eating machine anymore.

ceeveebee Thu 10-Jan-13 23:17:32

Only used them a few times in emergencies but at 6 months my twins would share 1 stage 1 between them!

5madthings Thu 10-Jan-13 23:18:20

Lol at not doing pouches as they taste awful but giving baby rice! That stuff is like wallpaper paste!

Some if the pouches are nics, there is a bkueberry one that i would eat and if you buy them on bogof etc they ats ok. I only really used them for holidays ir days out but they are very handy.

He just ate 3 AFTER fish, mushy peas and wedges of potato (which probably mostly went on the floor) and now has been bfing for 30mins.

He had one big pouch and two smaller ones.

I've always tasted them. They taste fine if a little bit sweeter than is probably ideal.

5madthings Thu 10-Jan-13 23:22:18

Well he knows what he wants. As long as he isnt cutting down his bfeeds too much (and it doesnt sound like it!) then i would go with it.

Growth spurt?

Going to be smug now and say that Ds controls intake as he does a sign for 'more'.

Tethers, try it. It's brilliant fun to teach and takes about 2 meals to master.

Perhaps growth spurt, but tbh, he's been hungry from birth and usually feeds every 2.5 hours day and night.

I've never tried them (or should I say dd has.never tried them) but surely the whole.point of the pouch is that it is one meal ready to go - I didn't realise that you had to add them together.

Must be very expensive!

tethersend Thu 10-Jan-13 23:27:56

Oh, DD has a sign for 'more'- she opens her mouth and goes "RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 10-Jan-13 23:29:14

Starlight - try the Plum Baby pots, they have a lot more to them than Ella's. Or just give him more 'real' food?

Lol tethers.

The real food makes him cross coz he can't get it in fast enough, though he gets loads of opportunities to throw eat it.

I had to do pouches to teach him the more sign grin

5madthings Thu 10-Jan-13 23:33:53

Yes my ds1 had a sign for more and for all done!

when dd had two she had one savoury veg one and then one of the fruit ones as a pudding and that was often muxed with yogurt.

We didnt really use them at home, she had what we had and some mashed stuf i made and froze sometimes.

But for out and about or on holiday they are fab. I occasionally buy the fruit ones for her now as a treat/snack something ti shut her up when she is in the pushchair

I agree the plum range is better than the ellas ones.

Right. Thank you. I'll try the plum.

It's all a bit weird this time round. Last time, dd was weaned on her 6 month birthdate on rhubarb pancakes at a Jewish party.

What was I thinking? Or is that perfectly fine?

Ds has had softened veg to hold and munch but not bread or stodge yet.

Hope I'm doing it right.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 10-Jan-13 23:42:29

Rhubarb pancakes sound fine to me - BLW! grin

Thaleia Tue 15-Jan-13 13:30:04

Love this thread - very funny ;)

I would say: doesn't matter but watch which line he's on, if is going up one, ok, if he's going up two, you might want to regulate his intake a little bit.

I've also been told that by 1 year they better know when to stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now