Weaning at 6 months - what foods AREN'T OK?

(30 Posts)

DS will hit 26 weeks this weekend, so I gather he's allowed to have pretty much anything now, right? I know honey is out until he's over a year, and cow's milk is only to go in stuff, not taken as a drink. Nuts...not OK whole, but are they OK ground/chopped up in stuff? And if I go down the BLW route I believe raw apples aren't great, along with other fairly hard stuff but is there anything else I should know about?

BertieBotts Wed 14-Nov-12 19:55:41

You really should cut grapes at least until they're old enough to be taught to chew them first as the skin makes them extra sticky in windpipes, so I've read on here.

Wallison Wed 14-Nov-12 19:59:45

You can definitely grate apples - I used to. I put lemon juice on them to stop them going brown.

FredFredGeorge Wed 14-Nov-12 22:57:02

I do wonder when I will stop cutting grapes, some advice says 5 years shock but DD had no trouble when she got into the bag in the fridge at 15 months. I still do at the moment, but not any other similar shaped things with less grape-like skins.

BertieBotts Thu 15-Nov-12 08:37:22

I stopped when DS was about 3 I think. Just made sure he knew to bite them rather than swallowing whole.

By 5 they'll have been to loads of parties etc with uncut grapes so it's too late IMO.

Lawabidingmama Sun 18-Nov-12 21:59:31

I was told by a dietician to avoid pâté and all other foods with a risk of listeria that you are advised to avoid in pregnancy ie mold ripened cheese untill 1.

I recently found out that honey is to be avoided in all firms not just raw ie if its in crackers bread etc its still not considered safe.

Grapes I peel and chop for my 8 mo old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now