best way to make baby food?

(32 Posts)
Copps Sun 07-Oct-12 21:07:48

i'm just starting weaning and am looking at getting a mini food blender (asda have one for a tenner) to make purees etc.
Good idea? bad idea? what is the best way to do it?

NellyBluth Thu 11-Oct-12 12:45:14

I'd still buy a hand blender if I were you, just a cheap one - its great for making soups and sauces anyway, and one of the easiest and healthiest things to make for the baby is to whizz up a load of veg and turn it into a pasta sauce. Certainly not a waste for £5! smile

SamSmalaidh Thu 11-Oct-12 12:50:59

If your baby is near 6 months then there is no point in doing smooth purees - that was more appropriate when people weaned at 3 or 4 months and babies were only able to drink purees.

I either gave whole bits of soft fruit/veg, or mushed with a hand blender. The blender was really useful for mashing up our meals.

So at 6 months baby can have pasta, sauce and all regular food? (except nuts/honey). So yoghurt, cheese, bread etc all ok?

Yep henrietta boots do a bag of baby pasta which was ace for my two, I'm sure other places do it aswell now. Its quicker to cook and perfect small bits.

SamSmalaidh Thu 11-Oct-12 23:01:44

From 6 months they can have anything but honey, whole nuts (crushed nuts, nut butters etc are fine) and salt (I think no more than 0.5g a day?).

BertieBotts Fri 12-Oct-12 10:35:20

1 gram a day up to a year.

KatAndKit Sun 14-Oct-12 22:34:03

Now you see i find the small bits of pasta a bit useless as babies can't pick them up. I have gone for the biggest giant shapes i could find. The little baby pasta is great for bulking up a soup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now