Camping near a sandy beach in Cornwall

(11 Posts)
k2togm1 Mon 06-May-13 19:11:51

In August, on a budget...

Asking for too much? Also not a holiday camp type thing but a more nature/rural oriented type thing.

Basically dh, ds and me want to visit Cornwall, it'll be our first time there and I just looked at self catering cottages and they are way too expensive for us in August, so camping will have to be. We just want a good beach, walks and good fish to eat. Where would you go?

tiredemma Mon 06-May-13 19:13:35

Dennis cove at padstow. Lovely views across estuary.

spudmasher Mon 06-May-13 19:15:51

Mother Ivey's Bay- not far from Tiredemma's suggestion. Beautiful.

Still18atheart Mon 06-May-13 19:34:24

Mother Ivy is really really nice . But do have lots of family bathrooms etc

In the same area as Mother Ivy are
Carnevas (SP???) Near Porthcothan is a favourite
Harlyn Sands - Big family one lots going on
There's another one with Harlyn bay in the title

There's a family campsite at Hollywell Bay

Silversands on the Lizard

Been to a couple Senen/ St Buryan way

Carnon Downs is near Truro no near a specific beach but pretty central

Seaview International on the South Coast -

mummymeister Mon 06-May-13 23:37:11

Polzeath is nice. camping on the cliff tops above the beach and surfing below. have you also looked at some of the lakes. siblyback has good and very cheap camping as well as a new toilet and shower block.

k2togm1 Tue 07-May-13 13:57:51

Great thanks! Need to check distances etc, also saw on another thread something about the se, looe and polperro. Need to spend some time on google!

Still18atheart Tue 07-May-13 19:56:21

Never spent anytime in the Looe Polperro area. It's the one part of Cornwall I really don't know

Blu Wed 08-May-13 18:01:19

Look on UkCampsite, on the seacrh filter for campsites near beaches. You have to scroll right down - 'South West' comes alphabetically after 'Overseas' with all the various contries..it's a confusing list!!
here

ShadeofViolet Thu 09-May-13 14:53:49

St Ives Bay

Its lovely.

mummymeister Thu 09-May-13 18:33:30

Around looe and polperro is easier to get to because you go on the A38 rather than the dreaded A30 car park and it is a lot quieter/less touristy than the other bits of Cornwall. went to Newquay and Padstow once and just hated it - people crammed in shoulder to shoulder. love wandering around Looe when the boats are in with the fish and also enjoy Bodmin moor which is really close too. have stayed in a number of different places so pm if want some ideas.

k2togm1 Fri 10-May-13 15:10:40

Just sent a pm.
I really like the look of the south, now to decide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now