Easter week - striking distance of Oxford

(6 Posts)
HoneyandRum Sun 03-Mar-13 09:41:36

We live in Germany, but work is sending me on a conference at Oxford Wed-Fri of Easter week. DH thinks we should all go (we have 3 kids ages 6-12) for a week to England. Do you have any suggestions of where we could go for a week with the kids where I could get a train connection to Oxford? Don't want to stay with the family in Oxford as I need to focus on work while I'm there.

London is obviously an idea but could be expensive for a family of 5. Something/where else?

InvaderZim Sun 03-Mar-13 10:09:23

It's too bad you don't want them to stay in Oxford as there's plenty for kids of that age to do. smile Stratford Upon Avon? Bath? Birmingham?

bowyert1 Sun 03-Mar-13 17:41:48

How about Legoland they have a great hotel on site and special offers, I am sure they wouldn't get bored there, plus there is loads to do around the area. It is only 54 minutes from Windsor station to Oxford or 47 minutes with no stops from Slough with SouthWestTrains

snail1973 Thu 07-Mar-13 20:53:06

Bit tricky as the trains into oxford are not great. i think the line goes south to abingdon and didcot. If you had a car then i'd suggest marlow, its lovely and about a 40 min drive to oxford. No train link though. Or a cottage in the cotswolds, more like 30 mins by car.

MorningHasBroken Fri 08-Mar-13 13:24:09

Trains from Oxford go to Didcot frequently, very quick journey. Didcot is on the mainline from Wales -> London Paddington, so regular trains to bath, Bristol, Cardiff to the west, or reading and London to the east. I would say Cardiff has a lot on - water activities, hands-on science museum (techniquest), nice walks, Dr who experience, general museums, shopping etc so covers many interests.

Toddle1 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:40:45

We have a house in the Cotswolds which we let out at www.cotswoldfamilyholidays.com It is great for families and comes with use of swimming pool, playgrounds, tennis courts etc. There is a train link to Oxford from a station 10mins drive away - the journey to Oxford takes about an hour and a half. Broadband is available if you need to work while there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now