Things to do in Northumberland....su ggestions please

(43 Posts)
pinkpainter Mon 18-Feb-13 21:00:56

Just booked a week away in the summer to Warkworth, Northumberland with my husband and 2 daughters (aged 1 and 4).

We've never been to this area before, and it will be our wedding anniversary whilst away so compiling a list of things to do in dry and wet weather, and would love some suggestions of things a bit special (but not too pricey) for our wedding anniversary, with the girls tagging along too.

I already have Alnwick Castle on my list, Seven Stories in Newcastle (would this be better with older children though?) and the Spurreli Ice Cream boutique at Amble.

Any other things to do/not to be missed please?

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 20-Feb-13 13:51:11

Well there is only a Greggs or a pound shop pilgramage that would ever bring you to Sunderland. Thin Brendan from coach trip couldn't even cope !

I've only ever been to Sunderland to visit the dunelm mill.

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 20-Feb-13 21:01:11

Ah yes, that could be added in with a stop at the burger van grin as long as your pillows fit in the overhead rack!

A dunelm mill/dirty van coach trip actually sounds amazing.

I would definitely do that. (You can take the girl out of Ashington etc etc)

Todaywasgoodtodaywasfun Wed 20-Feb-13 22:36:38

Noting for the summer hols. thanks.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 21-Feb-13 07:07:59

Also Chillingham Castle - especially if you are interested in ghosts !

TheGirlOnTheLanding Thu 21-Feb-13 07:27:07

Another Northumberland fan!

To the list of recommendations I'd add Whitehouse Farm outside Morpeth, it's a great day out. Our two love feeding the meerkats and I love the birds of prey, but there are lots of farm animals too, as well as trampolines and pedal tractors.

And if you're staying in Warkworth, there is a lovely Italian restaurant in Amble, very family friendly, and an amazing ice cream place.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 21-Feb-13 07:30:55

Whitehouse Farm sounds fab - must take DD there !

louloutheshamed Thu 21-Feb-13 07:32:41

Nice cafes and tea rooms:

Running fox in Felton
Sunny hills in Belford
The barn at beal
Eleanor's byre near Embleton
Pilgrims on Lindesfarne
Wheelbirks in stocksfield

Places to go:
Beaches
Alnwick garden and barter books
Wallington
Ford and Etal
Belsay hall

I write a blog about days out in the NE, might find some ideas there:

alongwaytogoforacupoftea.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/cherryburn/

How did I forget Wheelbirks !!! Just perfect for sunny afternoon

Wheelbirks

Kirkley hall is another good day out. It's a mini wildlife park/farm park and is quite new.

The sanctuary in ulgham (uff-ham if you need to ask anyone directions!)is another wildlife-y place.

Bit further south but Beamish is a fantastic day out.

pinkpainter Thu 21-Feb-13 20:47:45

So many suggestions - thanks everyone, wow - I will need more than just a week!!
Definitely decided on this for our anniversary lunch - the menu looks delicious, child friendly and the inside looks amazing:
www.alnwickgarden.com/explore/whats-here/the-treehouse/restaurant

I would love to eat in the treehouse restaurant. It is such a cool building. There's a short treetop walk next to it too.

Bunbaker Tue 26-Feb-13 22:36:43

I thought the sanctuary had closed. Glad to hear it hasn't. OH's family live in Northumberland so we visit a lot. IMO it isn't worth paying the extra to go into Alnwick Castle as there aren't many rooms open to the public. The gardens are wonderful though. Take a change of clothes for the children as they might get wet when the fountains start playing.

Alnmouth is my favourite seaside town, Heatherslaw light railway is a nice trip to do with children or take a cruise round Coquet Island from Amble. Hauxley nature reserve is a nice walk with lots of bird hides, and is right next to the beach. Ford and Etal are lovely little villages to visit. Belsay Hall is a stately home a ruined castle and has a wonderful quarry garden.

I agree that Beamish is wonderful. Must go there again.

pinkpainter Sun 03-Mar-13 20:27:07

My two LOs would love the light railway - thanks for the suggestion Bunbaker - and for the other info too.

Does anyone know - do I need to book far in advance for the treehouse restaurant? It's a few months yet until we go but is it one of these places that books up really quickly?

lottie63 Mon 04-Mar-13 07:52:48

If you go to Newcastle Quayside, visit the Baltic for the lift up to the top floor. There's a large viewing window which gives a lovely view over to the Tyne Bridge, footy ground, river. It's free and kids like the whooshy lift up. Also check out free kids' activities at the Sage (two mins walk from the Baltic). Also there is the Millenium bridge which you can walk over. Sometimes they open/close it.. To keep the mechanics working or to let boats through. Check online

pinkpainter Mon 04-Mar-13 12:33:30

That all sounds great - thanks Lottie - I love these suggestions of free things to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now