Possible week in London in the summer

(25 Posts)

This is just a maybe at the moment but it's likely that we might take dd2 and her friend to London, whilst dd1 is away elsewhere. That means dp and I plus two 15 year olds.

They will probably go to Camden and to Oxford Street/Carnaby Street by themselves, whilst dp and I do other things.

Any ideas for quirky-ish/lovely things for dp and I to do? We've done all the obvious stuff and hate tourist trap stuff like Tussaud's.

Also, any ideas for slightly unusual things all 4 of us might do?

Thanks. smile

Or indeed for the girls to do without us.

Hopeful evening bump, please.

Awwwww - pretty please? smile

serin Sun 27-Jan-13 22:39:20

Tickets for Wicked? and visit to the V and A? or is that way too obvious? smile

Our 15yr old DD likes to stand outside St Martins Art College and imagine going there one day! they run summer schools if your girls are at all arty?

She also likes to hang about on the South Bank watching the boy skaters wink

forgottenpassword Sun 27-Jan-13 22:48:44

Tate modern is always good. Design museum is not that far away and there are some lovely restaurants round there. Vinopolis wine museum can be fun too. I think I would choose that but I do like a drink...

Afraid not too good at 15 year old things except that booking a free personal stylist in top shop is fun but has to be booked quite far in advance. Also Spitalfields market is quite good - some fun arty shops etc there and around Shoreditch.

mummymeister Mon 28-Jan-13 12:06:08

Greenwich is pretty cool with places to wander around. not sure i would let 15yr olds out on their own unless they are city based and street wise but thats just me! Lots of the Oxford street stores do makeovers -sure they would like that. Ripleys is a bit of a bizarre place, depends on what they are into. also what about going to the cinema in the west end. open top bus tour?

Thank you. Will look into classes at Saint Martins - great idea.
Don't think they'd be interested in skater boys tbh. smile

Ooh I've never been to Spitalfields - excellent suggestion.

Not interested in wine.

Tate Modern a definite for at least 2 of us.

They are city girls and would be fine. We'd take them to the tube station near where they wanted to go and then meet them from the same one - eg Camden / Oxford Circus, rather than have them having to go on tubes etc. Do people really think 15 is too young to do this? I'm normally Strict Mother Of The Year!

HeadFairy Mon 28-Jan-13 19:13:32

This may be way off but if the weather's decent (and who knows if it will be, after this dismal summer?) but I love the idea of the treetop walkway in Kew if you want an outdoor activity and get away from the city grime...

Fantastic idea. Dp and dd have never been to Kew and I've not been for 20 years or so. Where did all that time go?

FuriousRox Mon 28-Jan-13 19:19:53

Boat trip from Westminster to Greenwich, lunch and shopping in Greenwich, then walk through Greenwich foot tunnel under the Thames and at the other side catch the docklands light railway back home. I promise you, this is a cool and quirky day out!

Thank you. Must admit, I don't find the shopping in Greenwich v good at all, but I do like the DLR!

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 28-Jan-13 21:54:47

geffrye museum, then a wander round spitalfields/brick lane

That looks perfect - deffo my sort of thing! Thank you.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 28-Jan-13 22:06:07

ooh, in that case you might like soane's? and dr johnson's house - you could do whichever of the three fits in with your other plans.

go to an art house film at NFT/barbican?

LOVE Soane's! Love The Hunterian around the corner too.

No to art house films - dp would like but I am a cine-barbarian and only watch trash! smile

fridayfreedom Mon 28-Jan-13 22:11:25

Walk along the south bank from the London eye to Tate modern. Lots to see and the doth bank centre often has outdoor music, dance, displays plus there is a small food market behind.

Yes - that's deffo on the list, thank you.

dinkystinky Mon 28-Jan-13 22:21:25

Remus - they'll love Greenwich, Spitalfields market (nor Liverpool St) as well as Camden market. You can do kayaking down the canal from regents park to Camden - great for something different but pricey. They would probably happily spend an hour in the Oxford street top shop if they are like most teens I know. V and A is fabulous - also check out fountains outdoor bar and exhibitions at Somerset House (easy walk to Covent garden or south bank)

Thank you.

Love the V&A. Is the costume bit all back up and running now?

No way to anything involving me on a river - terrified of getting water up my nose!

Somerset House - good. Wouldn't have thought of it.

Neither of them v into Topshop tbh - they will prefer Camden or indie-type shops but might consent to half an hour in Urban Outfitters in Covent Garden.

Flatoutnautilus Fri 01-Feb-13 15:40:49

Hi,

My brother and sister in law were in town and we went here:
http://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/

Its in the Spitelfields area and is fascinating.

Its sort of supposed to be an immersive experience. Really quirky and worth a look. London Museum also very good.

Flatoutnautilus Fri 01-Feb-13 15:42:16

Also, ICA is a good bar where you can get a seat and people watch (although exhibitions tend to be a bit annoying) and V and A have a late night programme which often has access to exhibitions and DJs, activities etc.

Thanks both. Dennis S house looks great. Will have a look at the V&A events too.

Lynned Sat 02-Feb-13 16:02:41

Go to Greenwich/ millennium dome on the river. Westfield and Olympic stadium ( girls will love the shopping) .Tescos do deals for river boat trip/ bus tours.

Thanks. We'll probably end up staying in Greenwich, depending on hotel deals.

They are not really into shopping, except for CDs, weird t-shirts and perhaps guitar chord books!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now