Is it unusual that my ten year old has never been abroad?

(31 Posts)
rainbowriver Thu 03-Jan-13 15:30:30

We always have UK holidays, mainly as my husband doesn't want to go abroad and I am a stay at home mum so have to go where he wants to go and can afford.

We've always had lovely holidays, but my son is noticing that his friends have been to lots of different holidays but he hasn't.

I feel sorry for him now, should I feel pleased he has at least had a nice family holiday each year, or is he missing out.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Sat 05-Jan-13 09:56:34

My response isn't going to be helpful I'm afraid.
I got a bit picked on for it, even had my 9 year old neice recently finding it hilarious recently that she'd been more places then me.

I'm not saying jump on the next plane (I love a uk holiday) but yes kids are aware at that age.

snozzlemaid Sat 05-Jan-13 10:12:07

My ds first went abroad with school at the age of 13. Dd will no doubt be the same (currently 11).
I feel awful to not be able to take them myself. But we can't afford passports for us all let alone pay for the holiday.
We always have great holidays in the uk though which they both enjoy.

juneau Wed 09-Jan-13 14:33:11

Well, going overseas doesn't have to cost more than staying in the UK. In fact, it can be quite a bit cheaper sometimes, depending on when/where you go. I find a lot of UK holidays surprisingly expensive though.

Why doesn't your DH want to go abroad?

I'm not sure I agree with either his or your reasoning, tbh. He works and earns the money, yes, but if you're a married couple its YOUR money, not HIS. I would have a problem if my DH always got his way with our holiday destinations and I got no say at all. If you want to go abroad and so do your DC I really feel he should agree to give it a try or agree that he picks the destination one year and you the next. It's only fair IMO.

juneau Wed 09-Jan-13 14:34:45

That should say 'BOTH OF YOUR MONEY, not HIS.'

dischordant Wed 09-Jan-13 14:40:15

Don't worry about it. Most package deals are about as cultured as staying here, just with guaranteed sun!

It's the fun you have and who you're with.

Nat38 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:48:32

We have never taken our 2 DD`s abroad, they are 12 & 13. Younger DD went to Paris with the school in September & Older DD is going Germany with the school in June.
Never seemed to be able to afford it, even before I split with their dad last year. We go to Hunstanton for a whole week in a caravan as soon as school is out & then for either a long week-end or mid-week break in August. Last year the weeks holiday was at a Haven site at Hopton. We even have a holiday grant to help us out with the cost else we would not be able to afford it!
Kids have never really complained, other than to enquire why we have never been abroad, they love the UK seaside holidays!!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now