Portland - is this an upmarket coastal area? what is it like for holidays?

(5 Posts)
Cloudminnow Fri 28-Dec-12 18:25:20

It is far from upmarket, but still worth a visit e.g. Church Ope (walk down to a cove with ruins nearby); Portland Bill (lighthouse, views, tearoom) and there's a Sculpture Park too. Chesil Beach is nice for a walk. I probably wouldn't actually stay on Portland and Weymouth is quite touristy. There are loads of other lovely places nearby to stay instead e.g. Dorchester, Upwey, Bridport, Abbotsbury to name but a few.

Namechangeforapropertythread Mon 19-Nov-12 16:06:35

Not at all up market and very insular but very pretty and a good base for exploring the area. Some nice looking holiday cottages near the lighthouse if I remember correctly.

PickledFanjoCat Mon 19-Nov-12 16:04:10

We went in September and it was lovely. Very close to Weymouth.

Khaterine Mon 19-Nov-12 16:01:08

Portland is a very beautiful place with intense tourism activity and well organized. I’m sure the transport is also diversified and you will easily find a way to travel around. I hope this link will help you http://www.travelportland.com/ .

mulranno Tue 30-Oct-12 11:41:26

what are the nicest bits - is it easy to travel around dorest from here or is transport difficult?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now