Portland - is this an upmarket coastal area? what is it like for holidays?

(5 Posts)
mulranno Tue 30-Oct-12 11:41:26

what are the nicest bits - is it easy to travel around dorest from here or is transport difficult?

Khaterine Mon 19-Nov-12 16:01:08

Portland is a very beautiful place with intense tourism activity and well organized. I’m sure the transport is also diversified and you will easily find a way to travel around. I hope this link will help you http://www.travelportland.com/ .

PickledFanjoCat Mon 19-Nov-12 16:04:10

We went in September and it was lovely. Very close to Weymouth.

Namechangeforapropertythread Mon 19-Nov-12 16:06:35

Not at all up market and very insular but very pretty and a good base for exploring the area. Some nice looking holiday cottages near the lighthouse if I remember correctly.

Cloudminnow Fri 28-Dec-12 18:25:20

It is far from upmarket, but still worth a visit e.g. Church Ope (walk down to a cove with ruins nearby); Portland Bill (lighthouse, views, tearoom) and there's a Sculpture Park too. Chesil Beach is nice for a walk. I probably wouldn't actually stay on Portland and Weymouth is quite touristy. There are loads of other lovely places nearby to stay instead e.g. Dorchester, Upwey, Bridport, Abbotsbury to name but a few.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now