Note: This topic is for discussing toys and games. If you want to buy or sell toys or games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

What would you put in a Famous Five adventure kit?

(44 Posts)
SavoyCabbage Fri 26-Oct-12 11:54:12

My dd has asked for a kit like the Famous Five would have on their adventures for her ninth birthday.

She has specified
'field glasses'
Torch
Spare batteries 'in case I am down a mine shaft'
Whistle

Any ideas what else I could put in? And what should I put it all in?

MissPricklePants Sat 27-Oct-12 21:40:34

hmmm google says Timmy was a mongrel dog, seems we are both wrong! what series of books by Enid Blyton have a spaniel in?!

BertieBotts Germany Sat 27-Oct-12 21:44:19

A book about secret codes?

amistillsexy Sat 27-Oct-12 21:46:13

Some lovely wooden bird call whistles here. She'll definately need one of these!

lurcherlover Sat 27-Oct-12 21:47:11

Invisible ink?

Runningblue Sat 27-Oct-12 21:49:05

I used to have a fab famous five mystery book where by the roll of the dice, the story was created according to what the dice said. 'twas fab.
Anyway tried to find that with no joy (it was probably 28 odd years ago!)

But found this http://www.gingerpop.co.uk/adventuretrail2012/ - a famous five adventure trail - maybe an idea to do with your daughter next year with her fab canvas haversack?

Runningblue Sat 27-Oct-12 21:49:36

www.gingerpop.co.uk/adventuretrail2012/ ... Sorry link should work this time!

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 27-Oct-12 21:51:15

No, don't give her invisible ink - give her an onion and a (spent) matchstick, and see if she can figure it out...

MrsShrek3 Sat 27-Oct-12 21:52:20

Has anyone said magnet and newspaper? (I'm on phone and read first page but it wouldn't turn over hmm )

MrsShrek3 Sat 27-Oct-12 21:53:28

Ooh Hazel, good idea! or a lemon if onions are too smelly!

Runningblue Sat 27-Oct-12 21:56:00
arfur Sat 27-Oct-12 22:01:21

Small mirror for signalling at night wink

arfur Sat 27-Oct-12 22:09:51

And an os map of your local area - such a lovely idea smile

Startailoforangeandgold Sat 27-Oct-12 22:16:30

In the same vein DD is very found of Glorious book for girls
Lots of retro fun and cooking and yummy baked potatoes enriched with egg that she makes for tea. (ok auto cook in a fancy combine microwave isn't authenticwink)

Sadly I don't think this is still in print, and my copies is much loved by me and DD1 and falling apart something to do 300 games hobbies and pastimes for all the year round

First published 1966, I was -1
My copy is dated 1973

Runningblue Sat 27-Oct-12 22:26:16

Ooh yes arfur OS map is great idea- and you can get one made for you with your postcode at the centre- www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/osselect/?gclid=CN-1sqWRorMCFYdd3godihQArw

SavoyCabbage Sun 28-Oct-12 02:14:14

I was looking for those books and I found this.....Famous Five Survival Guide!!!

Runningblue Sun 28-Oct-12 07:48:09

Ooh lovely savoy, might get a copy myself!

CPtart Sun 28-Oct-12 11:50:08

MissPricklePants.....THAT was Secret Seven. Damned sure there was a spaniel in that! I must dig out my old books.....

If you think her sensible enough, add in a flint and strike - great little tool for lighting fires. Might be an idea to include a little book.on building safe fires.

Swiss army knife.

Metal water bottle.

Parchment for map drawing.

SE13Mummy Tue 13-Nov-12 20:58:44

I'm rather late to this but DD1 is having a 'Famous Five adventure' birthday party for her 8th birthday at the end of the month! We're giving a compass (attached to a carabiner - from eBay) and a magnifying glass to each member of the Famous Fiveish to use on their adventure.

In addition to all the suggestions you've already received, I think a needle and thread and a length of rope would be useful for your DD's kit...or a book on geocaching!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now