Horses hoofs/hooves

(3 Posts)
ripsishere Fri 22-Feb-13 01:34:07

OK, thanks for that. I am going to stick with dietary. I've been using it as a cautionary tale.
Poor horse/donkey. We did put 10 ringett in an envelope for it (overseas)

Pixel Fri 22-Feb-13 01:19:25

Well they grow all the time, like our fingernails, and get worn away as the animal walks about, or get trimmed by a farrier if it isn't getting enough exercise. Even with normal wear the hooves usually need the attention of a farrier to keep them tidy (with a rasp) so that they don't split (like a manicure!) and so that they wear evenly and remain in the correct shape. It is important to have a healthy well-balanced hoof, otherwise strain will be put on the donkey's joints and tendons.
I suspect this poor thing has been shut up in a stable or similar for a long time and never been trimmed. It's simply neglect I'm afraid, rather than dietary.

ripsishere Fri 22-Feb-13 00:42:26

I am not a horsey person, they are fine to look at but I am not drawn to them. I do have a question though. Me and DD were looking at a magazine and there was an advert for a donkey sanctuary (could have been horse I can't remember). Anywya, the poor animal had hoofs like arabian slippers, they were long and curled up at the ends.
DD asked me why that had happened and why they hadn't worn away. I told her it was probably dietary related. Am I right? She keeps on asking about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now