Are you a member of a Riding Club?

(34 Posts)
Mitchy1nge Tue 19-Feb-13 19:08:39

Do you recommend it and can you tell me more about yours?

I'm weighing up whether or not to join one of our local ones, presumably you the human join and then you can take whichever horse you like for any given activity?

Grunzlewheek Thu 21-Feb-13 18:30:34

Nope and I wouldn't. But I do have a (probably very unfair) image of riding club members all being rather large women of a certain age on fat cobs who can't really ride.

I would join if I thought the local club was like that, I only want to do sponsored rides and have fun, what's the obsession with competing hmm

Mitchy1nge Thu 28-Feb-13 12:31:35

Oh I secretly want an exmoor too! I have the perfect excuse now I have a grandson but I've never known one that would make a good pony for a child, although I'm sure they exist.

Excited about riding club, the XC training is within hacking distance (next door, haha) and can take any horse, although I don't know why jumping training is so far away when Topthorn is only a twenty minute ride. I think horsey people fall out with one another too easily?

Anyway I'm not very interested in competing for its own sake, just want to enjoy my horses with minimal effort and financial outlay on my part blush

Eve Thu 28-Feb-13 12:38:26

yes, I'm in 1 which doesn't allow kids to be members as its mostly mums who then get time to ride themselves rather than sending kids to lessons.

Lots of group lessons with people at a similar age/ability.. think intro/prelim/ novice dressage and 2ft 3/ 6 showjumping and members only fun competitions where you cont need to worry about only doing intro tests.

Its every friendly and very encouraging.

Mitchy1nge Thu 28-Feb-13 12:59:25

that's good to hear, thanks eve

I miss group lessons and am really not motivated enough to have private ones these days

Pixel Thu 28-Feb-13 16:26:33

Mitchy, my mum used to borrow an exmoor so she could come out on rides with us. With its owner it was a nutter but with my novice mum it was as good as gold and looked after her smile.
Anyway, any pony ds has will only be required to walk/trot nicely on the lead rein and be utterly bombproof. Not much to ask surely?

Mitchy1nge Thu 28-Feb-13 21:09:42

it sounds doable! Are you actively looking?

Pixel Thu 28-Feb-13 22:18:07

Sadly no. I'd have to sell dhorse and I can't bring myself to do it. Got to have a dream though eh?

Backinthebox Fri 01-Mar-13 22:12:14

Our riding club does have ladies who are at the, ahem, lower end of the aspiration and ability spectrum, who just want to have a bit of fun with their horses, and we also have people who event at a very high level. I joined because the lessons they offer are brilliant, and very local to me. They're much more cost effective than individual lessons, and it's good fun to learn with others.

I'd fit right in, boxy. To the 'lower aspration' group, that is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now