Are you a member of a Riding Club?

(34 Posts)
Mitchy1nge Tue 19-Feb-13 19:08:39

Do you recommend it and can you tell me more about yours?

I'm weighing up whether or not to join one of our local ones, presumably you the human join and then you can take whichever horse you like for any given activity?

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 13:21:30

bump

willyoulistentome Wed 20-Feb-13 13:56:51

I was a member of the Thames Valley Ridig Club years ago. It was really good. They organised loads of local comps and training. i found them really friendly, and well worth the membership fees. Not been a member since kids though. 10 years ago. Can't remember whether there were any rules about what horses you could ride.

Callisto Wed 20-Feb-13 14:08:12

Nope and I wouldn't. But I do have a (probably very unfair) image of riding club members all being rather large women of a certain age on fat cobs who can't really ride.

Littlebigbum Wed 20-Feb-13 14:48:11

I live in-between 2 riding clubs Amersham and High Wycombe both are so different. So think you have to visit. And it is the people, they can make it.

Pixel Wed 20-Feb-13 15:53:04

Ha ha Callisto, that would be me then if I could afford the transport grin.

Callisto Wed 20-Feb-13 16:41:13

I always imagine you as a sylph-like get-on-anything type in very smart tweeds, Pixel. wink

Pixel Wed 20-Feb-13 16:47:06

Well I won't object if you want to carry on believing that you poor deluded fool. <adds tweeds to birthday pressie list>

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 18:37:35

yikes at callisto's impression

well definitely 'can't really ride' so should fit in if that's the case, although nobody I know in a RC answers to that description

horseylady Wed 20-Feb-13 19:03:38

Join!!! All sorts of people. I help run ours!! What area are you in?!

horseylady Wed 20-Feb-13 19:04:46

Ps I'm not fat and don't own a cob lol

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 19:07:00

Suffolk smile I know people in Suffolk rc and Gipping, bit of an overlap

have done a couple of things with one of them, you don't have to be a member but then it is cheaper if you are?

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 19:08:48

I don't know what that smiley face is for!

Pixel Wed 20-Feb-13 19:13:38

I went to a fun jumping day at a riding club once (Mid sussex I think it was) and fell off at the first jump when dpony stopped and I didn't. The club people were really nice though so I'd quite like to join if I had any way of getting there.

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 19:18:21

I don't have transport but friends who help run one of the clubs have offered, maybe I will just join and see what happens. It's not expensive.

I suppose am a bit haunted by horse getting banned from PC, local shows and not banned from but hardly covering himself in glory with local hunt hmm but if I can take the rodeo machine other one sometimes it could be good?

horseylady Wed 20-Feb-13 22:32:51

If you can support one do. Seriously so many are struggling sad mist are really friendly, helpful and run by volunteers!!! Plus if you can't compete they'll be greatful for any help!!

Butkin Wed 20-Feb-13 22:36:33

Been to some shows run by Bury St Edmunds Riding Club and they all seem pretty normal. I'd say a fun thing to join if you like a bit of everything at low level and lots of camerarderie.

Oh go on, join. I had fabulous fun in my local riding club when I was a rider. Held every position on the committee except treasurer (I am crap with money) and made some life long friends. But ours was a small rough and ready club but had a great mix of people. They always seem like a clique when you first join, but not when you get to know them.

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 22:38:59

Ok that settles it then! I will brave the AGM which is coming up soon.

If I hate everything about it then I can just not go to anything. But I know I like the sponsored rides and stuff, plus it would be nice to be helpful somewhere for once in my life!

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 22:41:22

* wave * at butkin, am I imagining things or is it about minus thirty tonight?

Help - riding clubs always need help.

Butkin Wed 20-Feb-13 22:58:30

Hi Mitchy - yes absolutely freezing. DD is supposed to be going to shooting practise tomorrow evening (she'll die a death!) and then a lesson on Friday - supposed to snow!

BSE have a website. I've been to Thorne Court loads of times and always had lots of fun there. It is at Cockfield and is where most events are held so if you're considering that RC you need to see how close that is to you.

Never been to Suffolk RC as it is more to the East although Stonham Aspal isn't that far from us. That one looks best for you geographically.

We're going up to Easton College this weekend where I expect to be doing most of my showing in the vicinity of the bacon butties...

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 23:06:17

snow? shock not more, please! Have only just started to imagine everything drying out and turning green again sad

oh good luck to dd and all of you with the shooting and the showing then, brrrr! I can't quite get used to the idea of this almost all year round showing season, it must be gruelling

yes Suffolk it is (I think) smile

Mitchy1nge Thu 21-Feb-13 13:34:10

oh suffolk rc have a website too, I know that Exmoor and his rider on the front page

why is it such a small world confused

Pixel Thu 21-Feb-13 17:49:33

I've always wanted an exmoor <wistful sigh>. If we ever get the chance to get ds his own pony I'm going to have to search the entire country for a nice quiet exmoor for him.

It's soooo cold here! Netweather is giving us a 95% chance of snow tomorrow and saturday for our postcode.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now