Which one to sell?

(6 Posts)
aamia Thu 10-Jan-13 18:12:42

Thank you for the thoughts everyone smile. It is about cost of keep, not about the money I could sell them for. Pony 1 is very easy in every way other than that you need to keep her ridden, but that appears to be a sticking point when looking for a home for her. Pony 2, if she settles enough with age, would go so far and realise the modest dressage dreams I have. I might advertise both and see what happens!

Pixel Thu 10-Jan-13 16:22:50

I'm surprised you couldn't loan out pony 1 as she sounds like a little gem. Personally I wouldn't be too put off by certain health issues as long as the owner was up front about them as you are. Seems it could still be a problem though so your mind might be made up for you on that one.
Shame though as I think in this instance it might have been worth going with your heart. If you feel that pony 2 has more of a place in your future plans then it would be horrible to sell her and then regret it.

Floralnomad Thu 10-Jan-13 14:55:33

Could you loan pony 1 and keep pony 2 or do you actually want the cash?

Lovesswimming Thu 10-Jan-13 10:04:46

Why not advertise both, be very fussy about who you'll sell to, and see what fate decides? On balance I think pony 2 will sell more readily due to pony 1's health issues, but t just depends what people are looking for

this :-) I had exactly the same thought

50BalesOfHay Thu 10-Jan-13 09:54:49

Why not advertise both, be very fussy about who you'll sell to, and see what fate decides? On balance I think pony 2 will sell more readily due to pony 1's health issues, but t just depends what people are looking for

aamia Wed 09-Jan-13 21:04:02

Need to cut down on numbers due to arrival of DS (and we hope to add another DC in a year or two). Last in first out pretty much, so of the two younger ponies, which one should I sell, and which should I keep? I like dressage and the odd bit of jumping. My older horse will never get past Medium level dressage, and hates jumping shows so only jumps at home. I'd like to keep something I could take further...

Pony 1: Jumps amazingly, puts up with dressage, hacks all day long, safe on main roads etc. Safe, sane, likes and looks after children (will look after a beginner), cheap to keep (eats little, no need for rugs, unshod). Downside is that she HAS to be ridden at least every other day as she has epsm, and has a mild pollen allergy so has a supplement for this in the summer. She has been pretty impossible to sell/loan when I've tried before, due to the health issues.

Pony 2: Likes jumping and happy to go to shows, but shouldn't do too much really as isn't built for it and I worry about injury. Amazing paces, much dressage potential in theory but is very spooky. Hacks solo reluctantly (spookiness), is a dobbin out with others, fantastic brakes and happy to go in front. Not good with small children but loves my DS and is ever so gentle around him. Not a child's ride at all. She makes me smile though, I love her little quirks and the thought that one day she might be calm enough to realize that potential. Her jumping style is hilarious (over enthusiastic much!) and she is just the sweetest little mare. Not cheap to keep (needs to be shod all round, and to have an expensive calmer supplement).

Heart says sell pony 1, keep pony 2. Head says the opposite. Help??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now