can someone please give me a kick up the arse

(15 Posts)

thanks everyone blush

N0tinmylife Thu 20-Dec-12 11:43:12

Well done, glad to hear you have got back on. It should get easier and easier from now on! smile

Zazzles007 Thu 20-Dec-12 10:30:35

Great to hear Headless. Horses are so funny aren't they? grin Glad to hear that the first ride back wasn't eventful.

CooEeeEldridge Wed 19-Dec-12 22:20:53

Well done headless!!! grin

I rode! Tho i did make DP hang on to him while i mounted n walked into the school. He did prat around a bit, but nothing major, and gave me this look hmm when i got off after only 10mins.
Tomorrow, I will trot.
Forgot how daft he is to lunge, he's fine once hes trotting but he tends to walk for a bit, then turn in n gives me evils when i send him out again grin

nope, still not ridden him.
Got called up for emergency babysitting of my goddaughters (it was an emergency) all day so didn't even get chance to go see dhorse :-(
But on the up side, i'm so disappointed i didnt see him today, that i'm really excited for tomorrow.
Got a dressage test sorted as something to concentrate on, and I shall remember to breathe! Plan to lunge for 10 mins then walk the first half of the dressage test, which should b about 5-10 mins.
Plus DP is off all day.
notin I have no idea why he threw me, his teeth have been checked, his saddle is fine, no health problems, just a change in food but that doesn't seem to have changed him on the ground. I think this might be why i'm nervous. I'v fallen off SO many times before but it's normally for a good reason (ie a trip, or doing something stupid which is why we don't jump much anymore )
Thanks everyone

Pixel Tue 18-Dec-12 17:16:24

Don't put it off whatever you do. I did that in the summer and then dhorse outgrew his saddle so I had to save up for another one. In the old days I'd have just ridden him bareback but as my nerve was already shaky I didn't so it's been months. Now I've got the new saddle but still haven't ridden him as it's been so long I'm convinced he's going to be a raving loony! Guess what my New Year's resolution is going to be again?

Zazzles007 Tue 18-Dec-12 12:25:06

OP, it can be a little scary the first ride after a fall. Why don't you take it in stages? Eg, 1st ride - lunge, then make a deal with yourself that you will get on and walk around the arena for 5 minutes. 2nd ride - lunge, get on and ride for 15 minutes at walk and trot. 3rd ride - lunge first or just get on. Of course you can step this down even further if you like.....

Hope this helps.

N0tinmylife Tue 18-Dec-12 11:40:58

I hope you are out riding now! Don't be annoyed with yourself, it is bloody scary getting back on, especially when you have been thrown off, rather than just fallen off.

I got thrown off mine over 2 months ago, and my confidence in him still isn't what it was. But as you know, the only way to get it back, is to keep getting back on. Do you know why he threw you off in the first place? Is it something that has now been sorted? Good luck, you'll get there!

CooEeeEldridge Mon 17-Dec-12 15:33:07

Ah, we'll tomorrow sounds like best day anyway. Enjoy your ride.

Bloody DP didnt get in til 245 and now i'm off to do the school run so havent ridden.
I WILL RIDE TOMORROW (I'm on annual leave, there's no rush, but like you said, the longer I take the more nervous i'm becoming)
At least tomorrow there will be plenty of people around to tell me to bloody well get on with it

CooEeeEldridge Mon 17-Dec-12 14:57:45

You will be FINE! Deep breaths and count out loud, also try counting in another language as it distracts more.. I've also found tacking up / getting on with podcast playing on phone distracted us both when I went through a nervous phase after fall(s).

I'd get your husband down too, realistically he can stay in car, it's more the knowing someone is there 'just in case' I think.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I would but there is no-one around, the yard owner is out on mon afternoons.
I spose i could get DH to come with me when he gets in from work, he's not a great fan but I'm sure he will walk around with me for a bit.
I am so annoyed at myself for making this into such an issue!

On you get - you know it makes sense....! Why not have someone walk round holding his head for the first few minutes, or even lunge him while you're on board? Good luck, but don't leave it too long as it gets harder.

I haven't ridden my share since he threw me off nearly 2 weeks ago, due to a combination of really bad bruising, a trapped sciatic nerve and i'm actually really scared he'll do it again sad
I've been lunging him, and he's back to his usual self, but i'm really worried, especially as I know that there will be no-one around today.
Please someone give me a kick up the arse and tell me to get back on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now