Please spare some positive thinking for Nell

(44 Posts)
50BalesOfHay Mon 12-Nov-12 14:03:32

DH's beloved mare (Nell) is undergoing investigations. The working diagnosis is squamous cell carcinoma in her eye. She needs a biopsy, then we'll have an idea of the prognosis and how aggressive the treatment will be. Maybe the combined positive vibes from the Tack Room might help? Or has anyone got any experience of this condition? (I was Treblesallround, by the way, if anyone remembers me)

dappleton Wed 28-Nov-12 08:41:16

Just seen your post now, my heart sank for you when I got to your last update. So sorry to hear this and really wish Nell all the best, hoping Liverpool can help her make a full recovery. x

Alameda Wed 28-Nov-12 14:21:28

Good luck with your treatment Nell. Lots of love!

50BalesOfHay Sun 02-Dec-12 12:08:41

Well we're taking her up to Liverpool on 17th December. If they need to operate they'll keep her in then refer her back to our vets for any ongoing treatment. At least then we'll know what the options are, and have a better understanding of what we're dealing with and the prognosis. DH is very restless and worried, I'm keeping sane by trying to work out the logistics of transport/work/kids/accommodation for a trip where we don't know how long she'll need to stay!

Alameda Sun 02-Dec-12 12:53:15

as if winter/Christmas not stressful enough!

hope you can work it all out somehow x

booksinbed Mon 03-Dec-12 09:23:51

All the best to you.Do you need accomadation - we are bout hour an bit from liverpol if it wd help you financially but im not sure if pertol cost wd negate any benefit ..offer ther eif you need us tho

50BalesOfHay Wed 05-Dec-12 13:43:58

Thanks books, that's lovely of you. We've got more info now, they'll do surgery (possibly laser) to reduce the size of the tumors, then topical chemo so she'll be in for at least 4 days. We'll travel up with her then come back that evening then go up to collect her when she's ready to come home. It will be hard leaving her there, but it's the only way to sort the logistics.

We're going to sedate her for the journey. I did wonder about taking my horse up for company but Nell can be a grouch with other horses and she's so big we'd need a huge lorry to accommodate both of them. So if you're on the M6 on 17th December and see a horsebox rocking that'll be us!

That's good that you've got a date, although it's a shame it couldn't be a bit sooner. Fingers will be crossed again for her then.....had to uncross them to plait and go hunting!

50BalesOfHay Mon 17-Dec-12 20:16:43

Good news from our trip up to Liverpool: they are going to operate tomorrow to remove the tumors then start her on chemo. As long as she comes through a general anaesthetic ok there's a very good chance of a cure (and the estimate is around £1500 less than I expected so hopefully won't be bankrupt).

She travelled really well, and loaded first time. Domosedan is the most wonderful sedative, she was utterly docile but not too out of it.

3 hours each way has left us knackered though. Got to do it again on Friday to collect her, with a bit of luck. DH is much happier

Mirage Mon 17-Dec-12 20:53:14

I'm glad it's sounds positive and that the trip went well.Fingers crossed for her tomorrow.smile

dappleton Tue 18-Dec-12 10:11:06

good luck for today!

50BalesOfHay Tue 18-Dec-12 14:14:56

Just heard from the vet, she's out of surgery, back on her feet and recovering well. The operation went well with no complications and we should be able to bring her home on Friday. So relieved smile

That's great - the ga is the dangerous aspect of most operations I believe. How does chemo work - is it via injection or drip do you know?

Can I have some Domosedan please - it sounds wonderful?! At least your journey on Friday will be with a lighter heart IYSWIM, hopefully it will make the journey less stressful and she will be so pleased to see you.

My horse was sedated to have his back injections at the vet and it was so lovely when I went to get him that he called for me as soon as he heard my voice and sniffed me all over!

Mirage Tue 18-Dec-12 19:00:21

Hurray for Nell! What a lovely Christmas present,to have her back home.

50BalesOfHay Wed 19-Dec-12 08:12:12

The chemo is just drops in her eyes, so nothing horrid, not like for humans so we can do it at home. DH is over the moon

CMOTDibbler Wed 19-Dec-12 08:13:50

Brilliant news !

dappleton Wed 19-Dec-12 09:29:28

smile great news!

Plomino Wed 19-Dec-12 09:51:28

Yay! So pleased for you all .

Kormachameleon Wed 19-Dec-12 10:01:52

<<< cries>>>
Only just seen this and read it but what an ending !

I'm so , so pleased for you and nell

booksinbed Wed 19-Dec-12 14:06:04

so so pleased for you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now