To buy from a dealer?

(51 Posts)
pipsy76 Wed 24-Oct-12 19:07:38

Hi looking for some sensible heart not head advice please!

I have just got back to riding after a 3 year break and am loving it. I think I would like to get my own horse again I've not owned one since I was a teenager, I found a fantastic flexible livery yard a mile from my house, but now its just finding the right horse. I'll be mostly hacking I guess often on my own so I know I mustn't over horse myself and scare myself off riding.

I know I want an approximately 16hh Irish Sports horse as these are the types I have enjoyed riding the most in the past. I hacked out today and both the horses on the hack were recent irish imports and as good as gold.

I've seen some beautiful horse's that fit the bill at Kent Horse Producers, but basically that's if the description really is honest.

Any thoughts on buying from dealers in general, or could anyone please PM me if you've experience of Kent Horse producers, ta!

pipsy76 Sun 04-Aug-13 12:42:46

Yes you are quite right he was sold as a 2 star not 1 star. I was told he sometimes got strong in canter, which I haven't really found, however I had to discover the bucks myselfwink

I do solo hack him about once a week, he's certainly not nappy but much less brave, more spooky alone as you'd expect reallygrin

lovebeansontoast Sun 04-Aug-13 10:11:50

To be fair, I don't think you bought him as a "beginner" ride, did you Pipsy? As I remember Troy was a 2 rather than a 1 star horse. I have a friend who bought two from "Safecobs", a two star for her, as she rides well but likes something quiet, and a one star for her beginner husband. The one star, an irish draught you could have put anyone on. She was really really easy, whereas hers, a lovely bay cob, was sparkier. She was easy but not a complete novice ride. However she had loads of fun with her.

I also think with hacking out on their own, some horses, and I'd include mine here, need to do it regularly or they lose it a bit. There are horses who just do it naturally, but not all.

I don't know if its section d's in general as I know there are all sorts of section ds, but mine is a lot like Troy, as I remember him when you bought him Pipsy, but a 15hh version, and sounds very similar in temperament. smile

Pixel Sun 04-Aug-13 00:12:13

I'm glad to hear you still have him and are getting on well, despite his little foibles. smile
Although your post does illustrate the point that basically he isn't a novice ride and if you were a beginner rather than 'getting back into horses' after a relatively short break you would be telling a different story!

pipsy76 Sat 03-Aug-13 19:33:25

Hi all I see the thread is going again!

Troy has overall been a really good boy. He's excellent to handle, safe to have the kids around etc. good lead rein pony now works in a lovely outline and is great to jump. Now for the bad, he's mega spooky when its windy and not so good solo hacking plus has a habit of bucking on canter transitions!

Overall he's been great for me to get back into horses again, he's a real softie on the ground and comes to be caught! He managed to jump the electric tape in the field twice the other day though!

He is dinky and long term I'm not sure if I should look for a horse instead but I would miss him if he weren't around blush

However he nearly bucked me off today, I think it's the new grass! I think he'd make an excellent pony club pony.

Lovesswimming Sat 03-Aug-13 11:30:34

It was Brandy mrslaughan, she left me fit, weight on (still trim though) healthy but even after professional re-training still with the tendency to bronc (and I mean bronc) nothing her new home can't deal with which is great.
I haven't heard from maggies owner for a while, last time I did Maggie was being schooled and brought on by someone who could help with her behaviour.

mrslaughan Sat 03-Aug-13 10:58:40

who did you have loves? Maggie? or one of the other ones.....I lost track

Lovesswimming Sat 03-Aug-13 08:35:04

So far so good chocolate :-) last message I got last week was along the line of "she's doing really well, I can't believe she was sold to you as suitable for a nervous novice as she needs a really competent rider, she's got a cracking jump on her and she's lovely."
My lad missed her the 1st week but he's now attached like glue to my daughters pony grin

Would be nice to know how she's getting on

theres got to be at least one sucsess story somewhere

Lovesswimming Fri 02-Aug-13 22:59:21

sits on hands to avoid long rant

Pixel Fri 02-Aug-13 21:42:57

Do you mean The Cob Company?

think they had to change their name because it wasn't true

<whistles innocently>

Actually I was wondering the other day about Troy. We haven't heard any more so I assume no news is good news. Hope so anyway! He did look lovely.

Think pipsy got a horse in the end horse.... if I remember correctly it was troy from safe cobs?
It was a long time ago so I could be wrong...

Not sure if we're allowed to mention the 'safe cobs' word on mumsnet any more haha

horse123456789 Fri 02-Aug-13 18:09:54

Hi!
You put this post up a while ago, but I'll have a go anyway smile Basically, my opinion is that it's fine to go to dealers, but make sure that you are wary and also make sure that either you are experienced in the horsey market or you have someone with you who is! I generally think that it is best to go to highly recommended dealers just to be safe. I've been to so many dodgy dealers, so I try to stay away from them, but there are good, honest dealers out there! About Kent Horse Dealers, personally, I would steer clear of them because I have heard far too many stories about them, but it's up to you. Also, it's hard to find a dealer who floats everyone's boat!!
Good luck anyway! smile

JJ70 Sat 08-Dec-12 12:44:59

PLEEEEEASE don't buy from these dealers without getting a bit of word of mouth first. Check out the Epona stars page on facebook. There are many other pages on facebook that deal with rogue horse dealers and scammers. Try Horse scammers also.

pipsy76 Fri 07-Dec-12 06:42:02

Going back again today as believe it or not there was too much snow to ride yesterday!

I met the horse and seller though and am pleased as she has honestly described his vices, he really does not like being groomed! I'm hoping all the positive descriptions of how he goes in the saddle are also correct. He also has seedey toe, does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks!

mrslaughan Wed 05-Dec-12 22:14:46

Oh good luck - very jealous!

pipsy76 Wed 05-Dec-12 22:04:29

I'm going to try out an actual real horse tomorrow. 16hh bay gelding ISH 13yrs has done some dressage and eventing is being sold as a real schoolmaster,not with a dealer but private, I'm really nervous as I'm going alone, erm come looking for me if I don't return cheers wink

mrslaughan Sun 25-Nov-12 18:59:28

Yep - I think i'll join the club. You will have to keep us posted as to how your mare goes.....

razzdazz Sat 24-Nov-12 23:01:52

Lol!!! Should i really reveal my true RL identity to mumsnetters wink. I still watch the videos daily and my mare is a total delight (though still early days). Will you be joining the new coblets club??? grin

pipsy76 Sat 24-Nov-12 16:11:36

Wow razzdaz you are like a famous celebrity nowgrin I love watching the daily safecobs Facebook soap opera!

mrslaughan Fri 23-Nov-12 23:16:33

Oh Razzdazz - are you Brandy's new Mum? who else has gone recently......thinking....thinking.......or Maggie!!!!!!!
So excited ......and so jealous.....in a nice way of course

razzdazz Fri 23-Nov-12 21:42:54

I met the very cute and EVEN more lovely in RL Troy when I went down to try my now new and very lovely mare at safecobs.
I have had a recent not so good experience with clip clop, that though of course, is just MY experience and there are many on here that support them. You can't please all of the people all of the time wink

mrslaughan Fri 23-Nov-12 20:48:54

Oh I like the look of troy too - I hope you get him, he seems fab!

Equimum Fri 23-Nov-12 14:58:28

H, sorry, no experience of the Kent dealer you mention, but can support advice to try both Julia at Southgate Farm and Emma at Clip Clop Traders. We're based at a big livery yard/ riding school and most of the non-competition horses come from one of these two. I know Julia has recently supplied a couple of fab ISH to people at the yard which are exactly what they sold as. She also has a good trial facility and was more than willing to do an exchange of be horse that didn't work out (not her fault; rider was over-optimistic about her ability with a young horse). Clip Clop meanwhile have sold some lovely cobby horses to both liveries and the riding school, all of which seem very genuine.

pipsy76 Fri 23-Nov-12 14:49:52

Update- It looked for a while like I no longer had a livery space so I put my search on hold for a while, however it looks like I'm now back in the game and may have a space!!

I am pretty much incapable of independent thought these days and make all my decisions after seeking the wisdom of mumsnet (no really!). So I've rung Julia at Southgate farm and may be looking at the lovely Nev next week, I also love the look of Troy at safecobs, yes I know nothing like an ISH but anyway! I have yet to ring clipclop but like the look of charlie. Thanks for all your recommendations, these dealers all seem to have an honest reputation. I'll keep you posted.

Badleg Sun 04-Nov-12 20:35:02

Really rate Emma Hinkley at clip clop traders I bought my lw coloureds how cob from her and he has been a star in every way.

She is the only dealer I would ever use or recommend.

I have lots of Friends who have used her. They all have lovely Irish types and fantastic all rounders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now