this is a very long way off....but i have some ownership questions

(57 Posts)
VicarInaTutu Mon 22-Oct-12 19:05:33

this really is a long way off, ive just booked riding lessons. i used to ride as a child but not sat in the saddle for over 30 years.

i have a bit of a dream that one day, when i am proficient in all aspects of riding and horse care, that i may own one.

what are the options if you do not live on a farm or have a paddock? is it possible to be a townie and still own a horse, having it liveried - i live in a small town surrounded by countryside so i know there are liveries around here.

im not trying to run before i can walk btw....it really is a long way off, but am curious to know about options and costs etc....

thanks

Alameda Tue 23-Oct-12 19:22:52

we have hard standing or whatever you call it round the gate now, joy joy joy

yes I think if mine were out in a little paddock without shelter they would get cross, but they have loads of space and trees and it is all undulating (AS SEEN IN PRIVATE PEACEFUL where it is pretending to be Devon or somewhere, not east anglia)

Pixel Tue 23-Oct-12 19:25:51

Private Peaceful what's that? I don't think you've mentioned that before.

wink

Alameda Tue 23-Oct-12 19:26:57

grin

VicarInaTutu Tue 23-Oct-12 19:27:39

so - it depends totally on the environment they are in then.....i will pay heed to that, if and when the time comes.

smile

Alameda Tue 23-Oct-12 19:34:25

well, yeah I suppose it does - we were evicted suddenly one winter (yard went bankrupt) and had no choice, it was a bit tough in a smaller and more sort of horse sick field. Had to feed them lots and the old one wore about a thousand rugs. Before that he was always stabled throughout winter and I didn't know if he would manage.

Now we are in an ex dairy farm field they are stupidly fat, and happy! I didn't give them any food all winter, they were clipped and only lightly rugged. They did eat about 3500 kg of haylage a week but the farmer did that and wouldn't take any money. Prices for that vary madly!

Pixel Tue 23-Oct-12 19:38:12

Well...even if you decide to stable it is best to have them out as much as possible (not only because it will save you money in bedding). Because of the way they have evolved their digestive systems are more efficient if they can keep moving and they are very susceptible to respiratory problems so the more fresh air the better. Plus it helps keep them sane smile.

VicarInaTutu Tue 23-Oct-12 19:44:28

thanks guys - i had kind of thought that ideally a horse would be out doing normal horsey things during the day anyway....maybe in at night in winter. i will see. lots of digging to do to see what options are around here.....i passed a house earlier just up the road with an empty paddock and a stable block....felt like knocking the door to see if they fancied a lodger (in a few months!!) grin

at work, its always me that goes and rounds up stray horses who have escaped....im known at the horse whisperer!....--and i keep polos in my pocket for emergancies--

VicarInaTutu Tue 23-Oct-12 19:45:08

why didnt my crossing out work

VicarInaTutu Tue 23-Oct-12 20:30:14

guys - how much does yours cost you per month? a friend just commented on my FB that hers costs between £280 and £400 including feed, hay, jabs, tack, rugs, livery costs bedding and farrier....

is this about right?

Alameda Tue 23-Oct-12 20:48:02

oh yikes probably more than I think

umm, ok, my grass livery is £60 a month per horse (but I have a sharer for one and she covers this), a pair of shoes is £35 but only one has them, and he only has one pair (fronts) and that is every six weeks (many go longer, he scrapes a lot) and I only pay for my stable if I use it which is an extra (I hate sums, is £60 without or £125 with stable so, another £65?) this includes straw and hay

mine are perilously fat because the grass in our field is not ideal for horses so I don't feed, old horse has meds that are £17 a month, pony is insured for I don't know actually, £30 ish?

I think that's it unless something goes wrong. Oh the wormers were about £45 each for whole year. Vacs are cheap, I just do flu and tet, flu every year and tet every other. Yeah that's it I think?

before I moved I had three on DIY, two out and one stabled overnight and that was about £120 a week not including feed or hay! It was £25 a week per horse when I started there and not that many years ago.

thing is, you find the money if you need it, bit like children?

tazzle22 Tue 23-Oct-12 20:58:22

trotting into this conversation lol ...... just had to cos of your name Vicar .... cos I once had a little fell gelding on share ( called vicar as he had a white scar round his neck where he had been tethered ... before he came to us.)

echo that natives are very happy generally to stay out .... nature designed horses to move around even at night and graze almost constantly ( hence if they are kept in at night its vital they have enough hay to last most .. if not all ... of the night).

costs..... well mine prob just less than £300 average pm ( more this time of year as needing hay and less in the summer). By the time you take into account wormer, vaccinations, dentist, insurance , farrier / trimmer and feed its that if you are at liverly.

If you need to add on stuff I dont need to now ....... lessons, tack, clothes (yours), rugs and any competitions if you want to get into that ...... add more

Having said that... people think you have to be rich.... no you dont, you just have to choose what you spend money on . Even if someone only smoked 20 a day and went out for one meal / night out a week and had one modest holiday a year..... well there is the equivelant cost of a horse !

Having said that ..... if you get a high maintainance warmblood and have it on half or full livery and have lessons / competitions every week you can double , treble and more the costs.grin

Have fun , enjoy getting back on board and explore all aspects of horsemanship before you leap into ownership. I never regretted waiting and having loan / share agreements to help me leanr.... to find out what I liked and did not like about various formats of riding / management / horsemanship and to have a little bit more confidence when it came to being "on my own" with a horse.

Would break my heart to be without one now !

VicarInaTutu Tue 23-Oct-12 21:08:21

thank you for that - i think you are right - its a choice on what you spend your money on and i would dearly dearly love a horse - when you say £300 per month is that for more than one? or just for one? a friend has invited me to go to hers at the weekend - she has a share. her friend is looking for a sharer but i think her boy is probably a bit out of my league as a novice rider....

im trying to cost the ownership of just one (people seem to have more than one! everyone i know has at least 2!) , i wouldnt be bothered about competitions or anything like that - lessons i will do before i own, (or share)
i think a share would be sensible to start with.

Pixel Tue 23-Oct-12 21:47:27

I would say dhorse costs nearer to £200 per month than £300 tbh. He doesn't wear shoes and is a good doer who lives out all year and has very little hard feed. I have to budget carefully (eg put away £20 per month in hay fund so no nasty shocks!) but Tazzle is right you don't have to be rich if you are sensible. It's easy to spend money on things you don't really need. People spend hundreds on rugs but dhorse's only cost £20 each, they have lasted 3 winters so far and dhorse doesn't know the difference as long as he is warm and dry and they fit!
I wouldn't rule out having at least the occasional lesson once you have your own horse though. The good news is if you can find someone freelance to teach you on your horse it should be a lot cheaper than the riding school (I pay £15).

VicarInaTutu Tue 23-Oct-12 21:52:15

cheers for that. at least it gives me some realistic idea of what i need to be saving.

ive a loan that i pay more than that on, when it finishes, i will be able to afford one. it also gives me time to learn the ropes properly before i take the plunge and in the mean time, i could look for a share or loan, again after ive learnt the basics again. thank you smile

We have plenty of lessons on our own horse... One of the issues with owning is that there's just you riding your horse - and they find your weaknesses!

Yes, ours is over £300 just for one (I'd say nearer £400). And living in a city, we spend around £50 per month just in petrol - at least, that's what I calculated when we started owning, it's probably even more now shock.

We don't do rugs (fat hairy horse). I have a couple but he rarely needs them, and has been known to sweat in the field in winter confused.

VicarInaTutu Tue 23-Oct-12 22:26:19

thanks again - this is why i started this thread. willing to learn!

Pixel Tue 23-Oct-12 22:39:10

The place where we keep ours is as basic as you can get I have to say. No electricity, nowhere to school, nowhere to keep tack. I know if dhorse wore shoes it would bump the costs up quite a lot and I'm lucky he isn't so far away that petrol costs a fortune, I can even go on my bike if I'm not pushed for time. I would like to go to a few competitions, even just to show in hand as dhorse is a stunning beast, but it's really beyond what I can afford, mainly because of the cost of hiring transport.

tazzle22 Tue 23-Oct-12 23:17:34

hmmm yes..... for got to add that for my money I do have a good set up in that I co rent a field that has several stables, a barn with a little tackroom / kitchen in and hardstanding area. We have electric and water and a self filling trough ( oh the luxury grin).

We dont have a school / arena ( that is important to some people) but do set up our agility course / jumps in the field !

My welshie is a good dooer can get fat on salad leaves and is barefoot (I do her feet myself mainly... qualified folk check up on me!) .... also gets hairy so only has one rug to use in extreme conditions ..... ie horizontal freezing rain. The neds have free access to the stables when yarded in winter but are usually found outside in the snow with icicles on them rather than in the "nice warm stables" grin they really only use them as toilets

Butkin Tue 23-Oct-12 23:17:53

We have 4 ponies at the moment - 11.2 up to 14.2. We rent 7 1/2 acres of paddocks for 450 a quarter and 4 stables (private with storage/tack room) for 400 a quarter.

Therefore having the extra animals makes it cheaper per pony (or thats what I keep telling myself!). Mind you we normally have one on full show livery in the Summer thats about 120 quid a week.

They live out from April to November and go out in the day time all year round.

Obviously we have to pay for feed, bedding and hay (for when they come in, travelling etc). Hay is so pricey now it is one of the other reason they are out for so long as we have great grass growth and the fields have generally stood up to it well although suffering with this rain now. They have 3 Oak trees for shade in the Summer paddock (with mains water) but just hedging in the Winter Paddock (and we take up water).

Electric tape is our friend and we strip graze them - moving their paddock up every few days.

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Tue 23-Oct-12 23:24:38

Marking my place as too late to read the whole thread.

Having a horse is massive commitment.

But simply the best thing you could ever do.

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Tue 23-Oct-12 23:25:12

Just what do people who don't have horses and dogs do with their day?

VicarInaTutu Tue 23-Oct-12 23:28:45

thank you - again very helpful.

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 24-Oct-12 06:30:03

Someone on our yard used to wok shifts as a nurse, if she was on early we would put her pony out in the field and she would come down after her shift finished in the afternoon, muck out and bring ours in, and vice versa if she was on late. If you find a nice friendly yard you will have a good social life aswell. There's always yard politics and someone not getting on with someone else, best just not to get involved.
Renting your own place does work out cheaper but not something I'd recommend for a first timer, you will need some support from someone more experienced from time to time, especially at first. Also, whilst most ponies can live out with the right rugs, it's nice to have a stable there if the weather is really dire or if god forbid they need stabling because of injury, or limited turnout due to being overweight or laminitis.
It is a massive commitment though, and needs thinking through, I didn't particularly when I bought my first horse and whilst we managed ok somehow it could have been a very different story.

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Wed 24-Oct-12 12:00:09

I am a bit anal about horse care and think they should have a routine and be checked regularly, out as much as possible but have a nice cosy stable for when the weather is horrid. At the stables where my horse lives we all help each other out and it works really well.

The stables where my DD's loan pony lives is much more laissez faire. Someone puts a haynet in for the ponies in a morning, but the owners only go up in the evening to muck out etc. This meant that when DDs pony was lame, it was not noticed until the evening when it could have been picked up in the morning. But, the neds survive.

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 24-Oct-12 23:04:51

Oh and costs vary widely depending where you are in the country, livery is around £30 a week for DIY on a yard with water, lights and arena around here, hay around £3-3.50 for a small bale and straw around half that. Feed is fairly standard nationwide unless you feed straights, farrier is £60 for a full set of shoes £55 for refits, £35 for just fronts and £20 for a trim. I used to pay around £300 for my old tb boy a month but that was 3 years ago now, new horse is on part livery and is costing £440 but I'm saving a lot on fuel from not having to go down every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now