why can't I sell my very nice horse????

(80 Posts)
MiggleMoo Tue 25-Sep-12 13:12:12

My horse is a 16.2hh, 13yr old, WB. amazing to handle, angel on the ground and in saddle. She is a forward going ride but never bucks, rears, bolts etc. Super safe on the roads and the sort you could have a good gallop on and still stop at the other end. She is a superb hack but her schooling probably needs more work if you wanted to compete her. She is never going to win Hickstead, or jump around badminton but she is a good, nice, safe sort.
I am selling her due to a number of reasons but mainly loss of grazing and not being able to afford livery, and another baby on the way.
I don't even feel I am asking a lot for her £1450 with everything in, so why am i either getting time wasters or complete idiots phoning - where am I going wrong. I really need to sell her asap, but I will not sell her to a home I don't feel is suitable.
It is all very stressful, would welcome anyones advice!?
Is anything moving in the current market - is she too much (or too little and that is putting people off!)

Treblesallround Wed 26-Sep-12 08:50:50

You're a bit far away for us, but she sounds lovely. The right person will come along

Stinkyminkymoo Wed 26-Sep-12 09:46:57

2 points if i may, when I bought my first horse 6 years ago, I was a novice and my horse has an excellent home and I would consider myself a good horse owner so don't discount people on the fact they've never had a horse before.

Secondly, I disagree that 13 is 'old' for a horse, I would consider it to be a horses prime. It annoys me that anything over 10yo is deemed as past it.

I'm sure you'll find a good balance with your advert and pricing and find her a good home.

Stinkyminkymoo Wed 26-Sep-12 09:50:17

Ps, just had a look at the advert and think she is lovely, definitely underpriced though!

CalamityKate Wed 26-Sep-12 10:06:35

Can't find the ad! Can someone link please?

DolomitesDonkey Wed 26-Sep-12 11:04:08

Ok, well as a discerning buyer I don't see her working, ridden yes - but not working.

I can get a well bred, well schooled kwpn for not far off that price with a lifetime ahead of it.

I would say "good to trim, catch, load" - if you don't I'd assume she's not!

Gotta be brutal, every time I look at ads I'm astounded by poor pics showing star-gazing or poor outline.

She is a beautiful, beautiful colour. smile

willyoulistentome Wed 26-Sep-12 11:10:27

What about advertising on riding club websites? I agree you aren't asking enough.

She does sound nice. If I didn't already have one I can't afford myself, she sounds lke a hose I would be interested in.

seeker Wed 26-Sep-12 11:17:35

Nice to see some decent pictures- I often wonder why some sellers put pictures on at all- they don't do their horses any favours at all!

Stinkyminkymoo Wed 26-Sep-12 11:45:08

In regards to comments about a horse not having done anything, surely there are people who just want a horse that would school nicely, hack well and possibly do a nice little dressage test?

When I was originally looking I didn't care if a horse had competed at all as long as it didn't try to kill me out hacking and had a good personality, that's all I wanted. A good all rounder has to be worth a decent amount surely?

DolomitesDonkey Wed 26-Sep-12 12:00:09

I agree in theory stinky, but the market is not reflecting that right now.

I can get a happy hacker for free and something with genuine potential for this price, and something quite exceptional for 3k.

I do hope OP can find a suitable buyer, but it's tough right now and as another poster said, horses are charity cases right now. Mine went to the knacker and I was lucky I didn't have to pay them!

TobyLerone Wed 26-Sep-12 12:04:13

I would buy her if I could afford to keep her. She sounds perfect for me, and even in the right area! Now I'm all depressed.

Treblesallround Wed 26-Sep-12 12:15:18

Go on, Toby. The family can live on beans on toast. She'll make you happy smile

TobyLerone Wed 26-Sep-12 12:19:14

Ha! I bet she would. I miss having a horse sad

I would also miss having a house, though grin

Treblesallround Wed 26-Sep-12 12:31:14

Could get a nice lorry to go with your horse and live in that?

TobyLerone Wed 26-Sep-12 12:38:47

grin

CalamityKate Wed 26-Sep-12 16:05:04

Could someone link please?

MiggleMoo Wed 26-Sep-12 16:10:03

Hi calamity,
This is the link to her advert http://www.horsemart.co.uk/all_rounder_horse_13_yrs_16_2_hh_dark_bay_kent/advert/246585

CalamityKate Wed 26-Sep-12 16:38:56

That link won't work for me for some reason! Can I have a clicky one?? Sorry!

CalamityKate Wed 26-Sep-12 16:49:49

Found her! She's lovely. Might know someone who'd be interested and she would be perfect for her.

Butkin Wed 26-Sep-12 18:05:10

Has she done anything at all? If you could say she's hunted (always popular), done X country, any time of local showing/ dressage etc. Doesn't have to be mega impressive just something to show people what she can turn her hoof to. A 13yo without any "history" may put people off because they will probably wonder (quite possibly incorrectly) that she's done nothing or had some issues.

Booboostoo Wed 26-Sep-12 19:22:08

I don't think there is much wrong with your advert but sadly it may be a tough time to sell a horse. It might be worth maximizing your chances by tightening up a bit the wording of the advert and changing the photos.

Suggested wording (use paragraphs if possible to make it read easier):
"162hh, dark bay, rising 13 year old WB by X.

A lovely family horse, Berta has been with us for Y years and is sadly for sale due to family commitments.

Berta is a safe, enjoyable hack, alone or in company, 100% in traffic, snaffle mouthed at all times and easy to stop even in large, open spaces. Never been known to buck, rear or nap, she would be suitable for a competent novice. She does not have competition experience but has nice paces and can work in a basic outline, so might suit someone who would like to introduce her to low level dressage or showing. Good to clip, box and farrier (currently barefoot). She is straight forward to handle, good to catch, not mareish and enjoys being groomed and pampered.

A good, long term home is very important for this special horse."

You may want to add a sentence if she can pop a fence or, even better, has been round a clear round.

Photos: one really nice conformation shot. One hacking shot either right next to traffic or bombing around a big field. One schooling shot BUT make sure she is tracking up, in the current photos she looks quite short which may worry a potential buyer given her age.

I want her envy
Would you trade for 2DCs? not easy to catch and load but showing some progress wink

nomnomdeplume Fri 28-Sep-12 10:28:42

the 'not a true beginners horse' would put me off. I read that as 'she's a nutter'. Sorry.

Plomino Fri 28-Sep-12 17:36:30

She is lovely ! Spitting image of my big lad , so I might be a tad biased though . I am actually keeping an eye out for another , but she 's just that bit too big for both me and daughter, or I'd have bitten off your hand .

I am actually looking for a happy hacker type paragon, and I can't believe how difficult it is to find . I don't want it to win at Wembley , or even do team PC , just something to be my daughters best friend . Everything seems to be either £5k up , or about 3 years old . It's very dispiriting .

CalamityKate Tue 02-Oct-12 15:18:33

Ooh just heard that my friend bought her! Hopefully going over on thurs when she arrives :D

MiggleMoo Wed 03-Oct-12 15:41:33

Cheers for pointing your friends in her direction Calamity, I honestly couldn't have picked out such a good, genuine home for home, so pleased. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now