why can't I sell my very nice horse????

(80 Posts)
MiggleMoo Tue 25-Sep-12 13:12:12

My horse is a 16.2hh, 13yr old, WB. amazing to handle, angel on the ground and in saddle. She is a forward going ride but never bucks, rears, bolts etc. Super safe on the roads and the sort you could have a good gallop on and still stop at the other end. She is a superb hack but her schooling probably needs more work if you wanted to compete her. She is never going to win Hickstead, or jump around badminton but she is a good, nice, safe sort.
I am selling her due to a number of reasons but mainly loss of grazing and not being able to afford livery, and another baby on the way.
I don't even feel I am asking a lot for her £1450 with everything in, so why am i either getting time wasters or complete idiots phoning - where am I going wrong. I really need to sell her asap, but I will not sell her to a home I don't feel is suitable.
It is all very stressful, would welcome anyones advice!?
Is anything moving in the current market - is she too much (or too little and that is putting people off!)

MiggleMoo Tue 25-Sep-12 14:53:15

Very true Saggy! I have sent the word out amongst my horsey friends but I rather unconnected nowadays since I stopped being on a yard, stopped competing or going to riding clubs etc. Hopefully the perfect owner will turn up soon!

alwaysGOLD Tue 25-Sep-12 14:58:38

Oh good smile glad i could help a little bit! She does sound nice really do hope you get better saner people responding this time

strictlycaballine Tue 25-Sep-12 15:03:54

Yes, agree there is very little wrong with your ad. Very genuine - and that comes across. Maybe describe her as "confidence giver"?

She is lovely btw. If I was 10 years younger, 3 stone lighter and didn't live in a city ....

Mirage Tue 25-Sep-12 15:33:38

Try Preloved and the Pony Club website.I mustn't look at her ad because I can't have a horse until I sort DD2 out with a pony.smile

I think you have underpriced her-people will be wondering what issues she has at that price.If you up the price then you will attract fewer numpties and have room to negotiate for the right buyer if need be.

ledlights Tue 25-Sep-12 16:00:38

Agreed. I think if I was looking (I wish I was...) for a horse like yours I would probably be looking in the 2-3k category. You can always lower the price for the right person. Don't despair, my friend had tons and tons of calls (despite having been brutally honest, imo way too negative, in her advert) but it only took one right person to view and buy. I wouldn't put 'confidence giver' on the advert, that will really draw in the beginners! Don't forget, it's not just describing the horse but the new home you want for your horse, too. If you want your horse to go to an experienced home, put it in the advert. There are plenty of experienced, good riders who don't want to compete but want nice, safe horses for hacking. Good luck!

mothermirth Tue 25-Sep-12 17:17:12

Try looking on the 'horses wanted' ads. smile

booksinbed Tue 25-Sep-12 18:38:04

what about ad on prevloved web site...We bought a pony which was 2,5000 and is forward going but which had been put in a harsh bit which weve removed and working on her issues. is learing quickly and is being ridden in differnet way but in a big open space if in canter wd not stop too well.your hourse sounds fab and i personally wd assume if loooking there wd be a reason for her price - so it may be initally be puting folk off.?? my cob cost 800 with teeth problems and tack was 200.she is unbalanced and struggles to get into canter but v sweet nature.good luckx

DolomitesDonkey Tue 25-Sep-12 18:42:11

Tbh, I don't think she's too cheap. It's not a seller's market and she's no spring chicken.

I lost my horse a couple of months ago and I've been offered freebies. People are struggling to pay livery. If you want her sold consider how many months she'd be hanging around before what you'd gain is cancelled out by livery...

MiggleMoo Tue 25-Sep-12 19:09:48

I don't have to pay livery luckily so she costs me very little to keep at the moment. But yes I get your point however i do think she is worth what I have put her up for but think this is a fair price for her.

Interestingly enough had a flurry of interest this evening so hopefully I'll find the right home for her afterall!

WillowKnicks Tue 25-Sep-12 19:14:46

I agree with mothermirth to look in the wanted ads.

I'm in the opposite situation at the moment & looking for a new pony for dd. I was getting a bit despondent with trawling the ads, ringing up & things not what they appeared from the ad. I put a wanted in Preloved, stating EXACTLY what I was looking for. I haven't had many responses but the ones I have had, have been really genuine & one of the top contenders is a pony that I would have totally dismissed but the owner felt he was suitable from my information.

The 2 main websites I look on are Horsemart & Preloved but also look on Adhorse & Horsequest if that helps. Good luck in finding a lovely home for your girl...who is gorgeous btw.

NellyJob Tue 25-Sep-12 19:15:39

no offence I am sure she is lovely but she is 13 and hasn't really done anything or not that you mention anyway, think you might have to reduce your price or consider a loan. People are giving horses away as they are so expensive to keep. Could she live out or would she need stabling?

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 25-Sep-12 21:02:56

she looks gorgeous and if I were in the market for another horse would be exactly what I'd be looking for however the price seems very suspiciously cheap and with the comment about being forward going and not a beginner's ride would make me anxious that she was a bit crazy. Is it worth being clear in the advert that you are looking for the right home for her? Good luck she looks lovely

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 25-Sep-12 21:04:07

Watcha want Nelly? Got a friend selling a bigger pony if your interested?

gordyslovesheep Tue 25-Sep-12 21:27:07

she look beautiful - I'd have her if I won the lottery!

NellyJob Tue 25-Sep-12 22:23:56

I am interested saggy but it's a hell of a drive from yours to mine! Tell me more!! remember I said before about being quite heavy....?

Roseformeplease Tue 25-Sep-12 22:28:38

Horses are expensive and people can't give many of them away at the moment. A relative runs a small charity rehoming horses. Pm me if you want details.

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Sep-12 22:40:04

She is gorgeous. Love the head shot!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 25-Sep-12 23:31:26

I'll have to ask my friend exact details, it's been a whole since I saw him. Iirc he is 14.2 ish Connemara, good family pony type. How heavy roughly?

NellyJob Tue 25-Sep-12 23:33:57

ooh sounds interesting.....about 13 stone I think...not sure...please do PM me saggy when you have some more details. Cheers!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 25-Sep-12 23:37:18

Thats not heavy! well, not that heavy! ill pm you her number.

Viviennemary Tue 25-Sep-12 23:42:38

I think you have to advertise more widely. Not that I have any experience in selling horses! And look at your price carefully. Also you could trying hyping up your advert. Can't you find a person to share with for the time being.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 26-Sep-12 05:48:15

Why don't you say anything about shoe/box/catch?

Can you get any photos of her really working?

What are her papers? Who's the sire?

Treblesallround Wed 26-Sep-12 08:21:47

Hmmm, DH may need to semi-retire his mare next year and will be looking for sane but reasonably forward, He's only been riding a couple of years and rides a bit like Matin Clunes (he won't mind me saying that) Possibly ok for someone like him? Is she a reasonable weight carrier? where are you?

I've just agreed sale price of our 9 year old connemara/tb who's in need of more schooling, so probably comparable, at £1600 including all tack etc, so you might be a bit under price, but not hugely, it's not an easy market

MiggleMoo Wed 26-Sep-12 08:38:51

Hi
She's dutch warmblood from holland. I've not heard of her sire but she is registered. She's no problem with catching (normally gallops over to you calling), farrier (I keep her barefoot) and boxing etc. I'm not sure what you mean 'really working' I've included two riding photos but she isn't a top comp horse, she is just a really nice all-rounder. :-)

Hey trembles, yes she could carry weight, and we're in kent :-) and I think she'd suit martin clunes down to the ground!!

MiggleMoo Wed 26-Sep-12 08:47:00

Ps thanks all for your honest feedback. It is much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now