Please help me - going for a job after a looooong...

(11 Posts)
Verycold Fri 26-Apr-13 12:31:32

... time away from teaching.

I want to apply for an MFL job. Subject knowledge not an issue as I am a native speaker. Everything else an issue unfortunately! Haven't taught for 12 years. Have been a SAHM and have done volunteering (pta, governor) plus some research work. Is there any way I can sell myself? How much should I put into my letter about my personal circumstances, why I stayed at home for so long (son with sn)? Does it sound too desperate and pathetic if I put in that I could come in all summer term for free to prepare for starting in September? I should visit the school shouldn't I - when I do, what do I ask?

Please help!!!

Verycold Fri 26-Apr-13 17:29:08

CleanYourBloodyTeeth Fri 26-Apr-13 17:35:54

I think be honest in explaining why you were out for so long. Volunteering is a great idea and not pathetic at all, a great deal has changed since you were last in the classroom so to catch up you can observe lessons and team teach. You may be a more risky option but languages teachers are a shortage area and I would not be put off by someone who is at home now if they have done what you can to catch up. You may well have more gravitas by not being so new and anyway, schools want someone who wants the job, shows commitment, like children and will turn up every day.

BackforGood Fri 26-Apr-13 17:42:06

Why not contact your local secondary school now, (before the exams), explain you are a teacher who has been out of the classroom for a long time but would like to get back into teacheing, that you are a native speaker, and was wondering if they would like you to do some conversation / speaking and listening with the pupils, obviously under the supervision of the teacher, to see if it all comes back to you / to boost your confidence before you start applying for jobs ? I bet many schools would love it.

Verycold Fri 26-Apr-13 18:35:22

I've seen a job that looks good, do you think there's any point in applying now or should I do volunteering first?

BackforGood Fri 26-Apr-13 20:28:46

Well, never any harm in applying - you might well be the best candidate on the day. If not, then it gives you an opportunity to get feed back on your application and interview (and maybe even what's missing from your CV that might have made them look again) so it's a 'win win' in my book.

Verycold Fri 26-Apr-13 23:45:26

Okay thank you. Will go for it!

Verycold Sat 27-Apr-13 11:44:29

Still grateful for any tips anyone might have!

IceCubes Sun 28-Apr-13 10:21:15

I'm also trying to get back into teaching after being a SAHM. I would strongly recommend becoming a school governor (parent or community governor)in order to bring you up to date with what's going on in education, plus it looks great on an application! I'm so glad that I've done it as its made me feel much more confident in applying for roles.

Verycold Sun 28-Apr-13 20:10:50

Thanks icecubes. I am a governor, but at an infant school, so not sure it helps with applying for secondary jobs.

IceCubes Sun 28-Apr-13 20:23:56

I would make sure you mention it in applications, along with the specific teams you work in and how it has enhanced your knowledge etc etc... I had an interview recently and the head loved it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now