Desperate for new job - just had BFP!

(9 Posts)
Haveacrumpet Tue 19-Feb-13 20:45:58

Are you financially stable? If you didn't get mat pay would you be ok with that?
That's probably all I'd be thinking about in your situation.

I probably wouldn't tell them as you're not yet 12 weeks. I know what you mean about it not being fair on them, but then again it is a reality that women get pregnant, so the school will deal with it smile

Congratulations!!!

juniper904 Sun 17-Feb-13 22:33:08

If you move LA, will you be eligible for maternity pay? I thought you had to work for the same LA for a year?

GW297 Sun 17-Feb-13 20:12:38

Also you might want to work part-time once you've had your baby. You aren't going to know how you'll feel about leaving him/her until they are here!

WhatAPredicament Sun 17-Feb-13 16:55:03

Thanks for your responses. I just can't make my mind up at all. Such a case of sod's law after ttc for months with no luck!

To fill in a little background - I'm currently working at a secondary school in a different LA to the one I've applied to and am pretty unhappy in my job and ready for a change. I just can't see a way for this to work out. I'm literally at the earliest point I could have possibly got a bfp though so not keen on telling anyone just yet. Plenty of other people wouldn't know for at least a couple of weeks I'm sure, but then again I wouldn't feel comfortable with not being up front.

GW297 Sun 17-Feb-13 16:06:20

I think you should tell the new school. I know of a couple of people who have been appointed to jobs and then revealed they were pregnant, maintaining they didn't know at the time of appointment. Why not ring your union for advice?

Schooldidi Sun 17-Feb-13 15:56:14

I would go to the interview and then tell them once you are past 12 weeks and have had a scan to confirm that everything is ok.

I was in this situation at this point last year. I didn't actually put the application in because I thought it wasn't fair. I would probably have got the job (not trying to be smug but I know the person who got it and I know I'm better than him). I miscarried at 12 weeks sad and now as well as having lost the baby I also know that I could have been in a new and exciting job but I don't because I was trying to be fair to the school.

If you are staying in the same LA you may well still get Mat leave as the continued service part of qualifying for ML is not restricted to the same school.

juniper904 Sun 17-Feb-13 15:49:58

Where are you working now?

I'm due in late September, so even though I planned on leaving my school this year, I'll stay and do a week or so of the new year, then go on maternity leave.

WhatAPredicament Sun 17-Feb-13 13:09:56

Bumpsmile

WhatAPredicament Sat 16-Feb-13 22:01:54

I've just applied for a job I REALLY REALLY want but have just found out I'm expecting dc2 in the Autumn. If I'm offered an interview should I tell them and not go (bearing in mind I'm nowhere near 12 weeks)? Or should I go along anyway and then speak to them when a decision is made? Or even wait a few weeks? Starting in September would mean losing mat pay I think plus I wouldn't be able to work until returning after best part of a year. So hard to know what to do as I'd really hate to miss this opportunity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now