what are climate walks and where did they originate from?

(7 Posts)
conistonoldwoman Thu 31-Jan-13 22:09:32

Anyone experienced this new phenomenon in their school or know the background to their introduction?

Millais Sat 02-Feb-13 11:22:47

Taking a wild guess here but are they the "Learning Walks" which concentrate on the general feel of the place- so looking more at behaviour, environment, displays, tidiness etc? We have these but they haven't yet been given a name. We have some kind of "walk" about three times a week-perhaps we should sponsor them

partystress Sat 02-Feb-13 14:17:04

Think Millais is right. We call them learning walks, but a recent mock ofsted reviewer commented on positive learning climate. At our school SLT walk round in pairs (with iPads, natch), look at what is going on, talk to children, have a quick look at books (not necessarily just those in use at the time). We get feedback on what was working well and Even Better If. Often seems to be quite admin-y - resources not put away, books not labelled correctly biscuit.

conistonoldwoman Sun 03-Feb-13 18:16:03

Can everyone go on these walks around the school? It is interesting to have a nosey round other people's spaces...bit like visiting someone else's house! Does seem a bit Big Brotherish (Orwell not Ch 4) though!

EvilTwins Sun 03-Feb-13 21:52:18

My school does them, but they rarely visit me [smug] Actually I think they rarel visit me because I teach drama so my classroom can look chaotic to the casual observer and they can't always figure it out... We've had it for a year or so. Used to be called "compliance checks" but too many of us took the piss out of the ridiculous name so they changed it to TQA (teaching quality audit) and now it's simple Learning Walks.

Millais Mon 04-Feb-13 20:35:40

SLT do it at ours but they invite other staff to go sometimes. Teachers then get written and verbal feedback.

PopMusic Mon 04-Feb-13 22:45:42

partystress. It's good that your school talks about what works well. At the school I work at, it's pure criticism. But then that's par for the course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now