typical weekly duties in primary schools

(21 Posts)
conistonoldwoman Sun 27-Jan-13 19:18:32

Interested to know typical expectations required by schools for staff re break lunch after school clubs each week.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 27-Jan-13 19:23:21

I'm timetabled to do two playground duties per week (but sometimes end up doing more) we don't do any lunch duties

Afterschool clubs are voluntary - I usuallty do two but this term I have cut it down to one as I was finding two clubs and a staff meeting too much.

TheNebulousBoojum Sun 27-Jan-13 19:29:18

Depends hugely on the size of the school and the number of staff available.
I worked in a village school with 5 classes and am currently in a 2 form entry, so 14 classes.
No lunch duties, run at least one club and do a day's duties, including keeping the staffroom clean, one staff meeting after school as a bare minimum.

EcoLady Sun 27-Jan-13 22:15:10

I'm in a single-form entry Primary. I do one break duty each week... and that's it. One teacher and one TA run different lunchtime clubs. No-one does any after school - those are all run by outside bodies.

missmapp Sun 27-Jan-13 22:19:20

One playground duty, two assembly duties and one gate -two form entry primary school

cece Sun 27-Jan-13 22:21:24

I work one and half days per week. I do one playground duty. Clubs are voluntary. Ay the moment I don't run one. I do one assembly per term. I run one time out session for children who have not been following the rules...

missmapp Sun 27-Jan-13 22:21:47

I'm sure you are legally allowed a duty free lunch. We can do lunch duty, but are paid. I think the eighties strikes were about lunch and after school duties, along with other things. I may be wrong though.

ninah Sun 27-Jan-13 22:29:28

similar to eco lady one playground duty a week (before school and break)
There are no interest clubs as such. If I stay I will start one. One assembly per half term, and a weekly staff meeting. Am bricking the assembly, have managed to escape doing one so far and it is my ultimate nightmare!

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 28-Jan-13 21:40:18

No, missmapp, you are correct about lunch duties.
<Waves banner, having womanned the assault along with colleagues in the 80s>

BackforGood Mon 28-Jan-13 21:48:53

Depending on size of school, and if they have split breaks, and the shape of the playground to some extent(!), and if the little ones have afternoon break or not. On average, 2 playtimes a week for a full timer.

You do not have to do lunch duties.
After school clubs are voluntary too. I'm old enough to be resentful about the directed time coming in, so didn't do them much, but, ironically, my dd2 benefits from a huge amount of time the PE chap puts in at her school blush

partystress Mon 28-Jan-13 21:53:04

One break duty per week. Expectation is one after school club per week, but if your face fits you seem to get away without doing that hmm.

2kidsintow Mon 28-Jan-13 22:00:14

2 form entry, junior school.
Each teacher takes their turn (once a week) to supervise the kids coming in in the morning, and doing a gate duty after school. We also do 2 playtime duties.
Staffroom isn't a rota-d job, everyone sorts out their own mess.

Most staff do one extra curricular duty. A few of us prefer to do them at a lunch time as then we can still offer our club, more children can attend (they don't have to work around whether parents can let them stay) and it leaves after school for marking and prep.

2kidsintow Mon 28-Jan-13 22:02:31

Club - not duty. It is an expectation that they are done, but you don't have to.

stargirl1701 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:06:59

None. It's not part of a teacher's remit in Scotland. Classroom assistants, Support assistants and SLT cover playgrounds, lunch halls, playtime, lunchtime, etc.

cardibach Tue 29-Jan-13 22:19:21

OK, I work in Secondary, so I'm not really one of the group you asked. However, I do one duty (break and before school) per week. I am really adding to the thread because I am getting increasoingly cross at the number of staff being asked/giving in to pressure to do things that are just not their job! As others have said, we fought for the right to free time at lunch and after school in the 80s. As it happens, I do provide some extra curricular opportunities (school show) but this is because I choose to. I would not be pressured into it. Just say no!

BrigitBigKnickers Wed 30-Jan-13 20:26:41

I run three lunchtime clubs and an after school club ( am the music co-ordinator.)I also take an assembly every week. Considering I only work three days a week, my school gets rather good value for money out of me...

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Wed 30-Jan-13 20:52:53

Brigit - I often feel part time teachers get a rough deal.
One of my colleagues works a day and a half - she does two clubs, 1 duty and because staff meetings fall on her working day she attends those as well.

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 31-Jan-13 06:23:46

Yes I also have a senior management meeting on one of my days ( am management level as I am the teacher in charge of an SEN provision.) I am saving them shed loads of money by doing the job over three days and spend time on my days off working. I worked out that I spent a total of 40 hours working last week .
But on the plus side, I love my job and wouldn't want to do anything else!

petalpower Fri 01-Feb-13 19:20:42

One assembly, one supervising in assembly (always 2 staff in), one playtime, every gate duty after school, one staff meeting, and at least one or two lunch duties as we have no MDSA's at the moment. Very small rural primary (less than 70 pupils). I often run clubs too but am having half a term off from that at the moment! Oh yes, also tea duty and washing up duty in the staff room!!

zingally Tue 05-Feb-13 13:46:47

2-form entry primary school, full time.

2 break duties (one morning, one afternoon)
Timetabled to lead at least 1 teacher-led whole school assembly a term.
Usually 1 staff meeting a week.

I find after-school clubs varies a lot. At the current school, clubs are done only if you feel like it.
At previous school, teachers were strongly "encouraged" to run at least 2 (running for 10 weeks each) over the course of a school year.

zingally Tue 05-Feb-13 13:47:55

Oh, and staff generally attend all assemblies, unless on PPA. I don't mind that though, I just turn my brain off or run through what I'm doing next lesson!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now